Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Spot'rs, Im ineed of some new lighter cranks. Im currently using some FSA Extremes with a bashring, they are kinda heavy at about 850g. Adding about 200g for a
BB puts this setup at a heavy 1000+ grams!
The MTBR Spot data base shows that Shimano XT cranks rule the roost, but the new RF Deus sure looks tempting. Is the new FR Deus to light duty of a crankset for a 30+ Spot?

I like to run bashrings, for my old butte I really dont need a meet shredding object on my bike. Not that Im apposed to the look of raw AL, (the finish of XT's) but my bike is almost all black, I will use some sort of ano hubs down the road just to seperate my bike from others, like green, or gold, (how about purple!) it just would be nice if the XT's were atleast hard ano colored.

Anyway, what would you guy's suffering from UGI do?
 

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
Joined
·
3,584 Posts
If you got the $$, get some nice Middleburns! If I had extra dough lying around I would get a set for my spot.

I currently have some on my DHR and LOVE em'!!! they are super light and also strong accompanied with an excellent warranty policy.
 

·
No, that's not phonetic
Joined
·
14,313 Posts
A lot of the Go-Ride guys run the 03 XTs on their DH rigs. The old octalink bbs are super durable, reliable, stiff, pretty light, and cheap. The XT cranks are great too. Nothing fancy, just functional. After suffering the whole Isis debacle, I am going to give RF's new outboard systems a year or more to prove themselves. Fool me once...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,355 Posts
ride red said:
Hello fellow Spot'rs, Im ineed of some new lighter cranks. Im currently using some FSA Extremes with a bashring, they are kinda heavy at about 850g. Adding about 200g for a
BB puts this setup at a heavy 1000+ grams!
I am still using my RaceFace LP 1998 170mm, weights 420 grams, lifetime warranty, with my TNT square Titanium BB and Sugino rings the drivetrain is very strong and sub-750 grams (add 50 grams if you do not want a titanium spindle).

You can still find this stuff around (e-bay) and it is VERY CHEAP!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,470 Posts
I have '03 XT's, 3 months old, and they creak like crazy... I've tried everything and have located the problem to be the spider / crank interface. Started asking around and found this is a very common problem on '03's. Just something to be aware of- after removing my cranks, rings and BB several times to try and fix the problem, I'm putting my old raceface turbine square tapers & UN72 back on.

tscheezy said:
A lot of the Go-Ride guys run the 03 XTs on their DH rigs. The old octalink bbs are super durable, reliable, stiff, pretty light, and cheap. The XT cranks are great too. Nothing fancy, just functional. After suffering the whole Isis debacle, I am going to give RF's new outboard systems a year or more to prove themselves. Fool me once...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,516 Posts
ride red said:
Is the new FR Deus to light duty of a crankset for a 30+ Spot?
I would tend to say "yes", but a lot of that depends on riding style and rider weight. I put Deus cranks on my wife's XCE and short-term they've been problem free, and I'd expect them to remain that way seeing as how she's very light and not very aggressive. IMO if you want to go with the new RF X-type or any 2 piece crank I'd go with the Atlas which is a little beefier and stiffer that the Deus and probably the XT as well, FWIW I was just into Bonkey's shop and he said they're now available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,133 Posts
FM said:
I have '03 XT's, 3 months old, and they creak like crazy... I've tried everything and have located the problem to be the spider / crank interface. Started asking around and found this is a very common problem on '03's. Just something to be aware of- after removing my cranks, rings and BB several times to try and fix the problem, I'm putting my old raceface turbine square tapers & UN72 back on.
Read the reviews in the review section on the '02 and '03 cranks and you are right on - about half the problems were from not greasing the crank to bb octaspline interface (this was my creak problem as well); the other half were the spider to crank interface (I have not had this problem). Great cranks and at $78 at Supergo, a steal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
ride red said:
The MTBR Spot data base shows that Shimano XT cranks rule the roost, but the new RF Deus sure looks tempting. Is the new FR Deus to light duty of a crankset for a 30+ Spot?
Got a RF X-Type crankset on my spot.
(Wanted an Atlas set but couldn't get it in time an went for the deus instead)

I do think they will be strong and stiff enough for the average use but would get the Atlas which is just a little heavier but is the intended crankset for all mountain use but.............

... I would definately avoid the X-Type system which seems to be a pretty stupid construction to me

Had and have several problems with that:

- cranks keep coming loose
- excessive friction in the BB.

The system works just as Sh!manos Octalink II (BB is actually compatibel) with one crucial difference.
Sh!manos kranks are fixed by two bolts on the side of the crankarm. That allows you to slide the crankarm on the axle and determine the right amount of preload thet keeps the cranks rotating easyly without play.
RF uses the conventional ISIS system on the driveside. So you tighten the thing by torquing the crankarm on the axle until it bottoms out. There is no way of adjusting the preload on the bearings other than several provided spacers and preload elastomers.
That leaves you (at least in my case) with the choice of eather excessive friction or lateral play.
Not very clever it think.

Anybody else with experience with X-Type cranks?

I will do some further research on that to make sure I didn't get the build wrong or the reason ist a BB shell out of tolerances and I will speak to the RF people at Eurobike in September.
But if that can't be sorted out the cranks will have to go...........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
I'm disappointed to hear of your problems with the Deus setup. I don't have enough experience with them (just my own) to try and diagnose. However, mine, are set up with no play, and very little drag (what is to be expected with sealed bearings, seals drag.) Installation was a cinch. I'm sure the RF tech line will help you out on this one.
 

Attachments

·
mad aussie
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
I have used a set of FSA carbon pro's on my 'spot for over a year. I think that what kinds of cranks you use depends a lot on your weight. I ride aggresively and like to jump, but I only weigh 140#, so I have had no problem with durability. The race face deus would hold up fine for a lightweight rider even with aggressive XC riding.
I am only guessing, but if you are over 160 and ride hard then the atlas might be a better choice.
 

·
Feeding your addiction
Joined
·
2,648 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
With you there. Got my hands on a set of Atlas yesterday. They look really good, a bit of extra material in the arms and spider area. They're also shot peened, so they don't have the shiny look of the Deus silver or black. Unfortunately, my bike had to be built before they were available.

However, given the RF lifetime warranty, it's a risk I'll take. Plenty of people are using the XT setup for big stuff, and they're surviving well. According to shimano, the XTs are modeled to be as strong and stiff and cheaper (by giving up some on the weight) as their XTR counterparts. Any of the four options most likely a good choice.
 

·
Just Grin and HUCK it...
Joined
·
855 Posts
Flying Wombat said:
I have used a set of FSA carbon pro's on my 'spot for over a year. I think that what kinds of cranks you use depends a lot on your weight. I ride aggresively and like to jump, but I only weigh 140#, so I have had no problem with durability. The race face deus would hold up fine for a lightweight rider even with aggressive XC riding.
I am only guessing, but if you are over 160 and ride hard then the atlas might be a better choice.
I also have the FSA carbon pros (4 arm) on my spot and they've been holding up very well. Very little flex and light-weight. I weigh about 205# w/gear and have had nothing but good times on these cranks. I also am an aggressive rider with an occasional jump here and there. I had them originally on my Spec FSR XC for about 2 years before I took 'em off and put them on my new spot. So I guess I've been riding on them for about 2.5 years, but since I bought them slightly used, I'd say they've been in service for at least 3-3.5 years. I'm pretty certain the FSA bashgard fits this model too.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top