Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am in the middle of buying /building my first SS and need some help.
What is a good, inexpensive crankset for a 212lb new SS'er.
I have seen a few sets of the usual XT, Stylo and Race Face cranks on ebay that would be OK but also wondered about brands like Ritchey, Vuelta and Cyclone.
Are any of the latter any good to consider????
Also anyone got any info on the FSA V drive cranks?? They look like a good solid crank for a bigger guy. Unfortunately the reviews are pretty conflicting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Xtr?

toowoombarider said:
I have seen a few sets of the usual XT, Stylo and Race Face cranks on ebay that would be OK but also wondered about brands like Ritchey, Vuelta and Cyclone.
Also anyone got any info on the FSA V drive cranks?? They look like a good solid crank for a bigger guy. Unfortunately the reviews are pretty conflicting.
What about some XTR cranks? Not the new ones, but the grey M950 versions? Nice and stiff, light, functional, and if you check eBay no doubt you'll find some. Quite a few about in 180 length as well, although true to form, I forget where.

S'what I run.

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
I run a set of the Shimano 952's with a Jericho Suffering on my SS - and I've been up to 230lbs with no issues (down to a slim 200 lbs right now...lol). But I had 175's and now have the 180s and love them. Definitely 180's. Never any issues with them.

Hope that hels a little.

FF

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Freddy. How goes it.
Yeah have been keeping my eye out for some of them in 180mm.
How do you think they will go on that bike??
They wont clash with th blue topcap will they???. :p

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
white ind. eno

i just put a first ride on my white industries eno cranks, man, they are really nice. they come in square taper only, but that is a good thing. light too, my 32t, 175mm set up weighed about 522g. the machining and polishing is also top notch. i'm running a race face taperlock bb, but there are alot of choices out there. the cranks are pretty stiff, i only have about 4m of clearance on each side of the stays and i never got nervous when looking down. i'm about 180 pounds.

i got my set from larry at www.mtnhighcyclery.com. email or call. the price was pretty good too!!

cheers!

toowoombarider said:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.