Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
My old XTR's wont work on the Air nine because of the wide chain stays. These are the old grey 24-44-46 tooth set. I need to purchase a new set of cranks to complete my build.
Please help me out with a new crank.

I am looking for a set that I can put on and forget about problems. I am open to all sugestions as I don't need bling on this bike at all. I was also looking at some of the Square taper options out there as well.
So either new, old style square taper....Octlink style, or is the new outboard the way to go. Please help.

·
Not really that big!
368 Posts
Shimanos work well

I really like the XT 760 cranks. I have them on my DosNiner and my Rig. Nice and stiff, shift well, reasonable price. I bought one set used and the other new. If I were to buy one now, I may consider the LX model as the weight is very close for considerably less money.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
I just switched to outboard XT from Truvativ Stylo GXP (DO NOT BUY).

The XT seem really nice. I think they are The Ones.

·
Got Twins?
297 Posts
Xtr 952

howiefeltersnatch,
I have two sets of the 952's on two very different bikes. On my Moots Mooto-X, I have a set with the stock ring (34t only) using the XTR 4 bolt chain ring (with teeth grounded down) for use as a one speed. I had to use an Ultegra 118.5mm bb on it to clear the stays. Have you tried a longer bb? My other suggestion would be to use an AC components spider to use compact gearing. Webcyclery.com has them in both 5 and 4 bolt configurations. I have a set on my SIR9 with no issues. I'd only use this spider with chainrings and not for one speed. That is advice from the singlespeed forum when I was researching spiders for the 952's.
Finally, if you find you are not going to use them, PM me and we'll talk.;)

HTH,
Steve
who has way too may 952 cranks!

·
Got Twins?
297 Posts
Race Face Deus Cranks

I have a set on a custom 26er one speed and they've been great until the little tiny spacer covered in rubber somehow got destroyed, kept letting the cranks loosen up after they were tightend up to spec. Since then, it has been replaced and all is good, but if it does loosen again, I'll post them in the market place. The other knock on them, is the bb doesn't last very long. I've read that Phil makes a bb replacement that is the bomb.

My 0.02,
Steve

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Am I missing something on Shimano's site??

Rainman said:
I'm very impressed with the Shimano XT cranks. Light, tough, easy to fit.. :thumbsup:
R.
Everything I'd read leads me to believe they're no longer making square taper in XT, XTR, or LX. Same with Race Face.
Am I mistaken here?
Thanks in advance.
T

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Mudflaps said:
Everything I'd read leads me to believe they're no longer making square taper in XT, XTR, or LX. Same with Race Face.
Am I mistaken here?
Thanks in advance.
T
He is looking at square taper as well as other options.
Shimano falls under other options.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Race Face

I've been using Race Face for years. I currently have them on 3 bikes with ISIS bottom brackets. I am running the Deus on my Lev, and I have a problem where the drive side arm is wiggling. It seem play has developed at the spline. My friend has the same issue, and upon doing some research, it seems others have had the same issue. I am going to send them back to RF for warranty and see how they handle it. Again, Ive never had a problem with the internal bottom bracket cranksets, just the external.
I have Shimano XTs with external bottom brackets on my sons bikes, and they are fantastic. It seems the pipe is fixed to the drive side spindle, which seems like a stronger interface than the raceface, which is fixed to the non drive side.
My $.02.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Mudflaps said:
Am I mistaken here?
Thanks in advance.
T
No, you're right. Shimano hasn't made an LX+ level crankset in square taper since the M739, and that was quite a few years ago.

Personally, I think "lower end" square taper cranks from either Shimano or Deore are just fine. If you ignore the weight of the heavy steel rings the cheapies come with (easily replaced), you're not looking at very much extra weight. The $200+ boutique square taper cranks, current all the rage, don't fall under the $1-per-gram-saved ceiling that I demand.

·
Front Range Cyclist
944 Posts
I'd say do this....buy a compact 5 arm spider from Shimano designed for the crank (QBP has it-that's where I got mine). Equip it with 42/30 chainrings. That's all ya need!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.