Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I picked up a 2005 Giant Faith frame from Wheel World and it comes with "100mm width Truvativ ISIS bottom bracket"

So I'll need to get some cranks for it. So my question/problem is do I ditch the ISIS BB it came with and upgrade to something else (x-type, octa link, etc). I don't want to buy ISIS cranks, then have the ISIS BB crap out, I've heard nothing but negative reviews of ISIS.

It will have a 1x9 drive train for DH/Freeride. So ditch the ISIS or not. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Which crankset/BB combo should I go with.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I'd ditch the ISIS...

and go with a Shimano Saint, single bash ring and external bearing bb. Then I'd drop a few more bucks on some Enduro bearings for it.

Good Dirt

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
ISIS might have worked had not the three major brands flogging it (Raceface, FSA and Truvativ) rushed it to the marketplace trying to play catch-up to shimano. By rushing to the market they crammed the YEARS of R&D shimano spent on its Octalink system into a few months and well, coming up with a spline pattern was easy for that time frame. Bearings to support that spline pattern on the other hand....

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input Squash. I appreciate it.

Anybody else have any input. I could really use all the info possible.

I'm new to DH and my last set of cranks ahve a square taper BB! So I'm clueless on the new stuff.

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts