Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Out riding my Scalpel
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I don't want to spend a fortune on both. I just want a good crank set and nice shifters. I was thinking XT shifters and XT cranks. But then I read somewhere that SRAM Rocket Trigger shifters are excellent. The reviews are pretty impressive so I'm leaning towards those at the moment. For the crank set I'm very lost. What does anyone recommend? I ride a 2003 Cannondale Jekyll and decided it was time to upgrade. I have the money but want to spend it wisely. Thanks for listening to me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Get the Hollowtech II cranks

subzero said:
First of all I don't want to spend a fortune on both. I just want a good crank set and nice shifters. I was thinking XT shifters and XT cranks. But then I read somewhere that SRAM Rocket Trigger shifters are excellent. The reviews are pretty impressive so I'm leaning towards those at the moment. For the crank set I'm very lost. What does anyone recommend? I ride a 2003 Cannondale Jekyll and decided it was time to upgrade. I have the money but want to spend it wisely. Thanks for listening to me.
I have nothing but good things to say about xt shifters,but iv'e never tried the Srams so that's all up to you.I recently bought the new XT 760,the one with the outbourd bearings and it is the best crank i have ever had,so smooth,and the power transfer makes all other styles seem like the old 8 tracks,it might be more $$ but it's definately worth it,and for 2004 shimano fixed it's previous bearing problems with the XT lineup so it's gonna last.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
I also recommend Hollowtech IIs

I bought these cranks a couple of months ago and can't say anything but good things about them. They are expensive, but worth it. I have heard that if you overtighten the bearings they can give problems, but I haven't had any problems so far, besides, in case youn like raceface, you can also use their external bearings, which are compatible with shimano's.

My $0,02

-Cris

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
subzero said:
I like shimanos triggers better then srams, srams you have to pull up on the finger trigger...it felt wierd compared to shimanos.

Id eitehr go with the new xt crank as they already said or get racefaces dues crankset which is the same thing but looks cooler and is lighter (claimed anyways) and a lil cheaper.

·
Out riding my Scalpel
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well this is what I did today. I ordered up the SRAM Rocket triggers and XT cranks at my LBS. Got a pretty good deal on them. Saved some $$$$ and lightened up my ride a little. The good thing is my riding buddy as XT shifters on his bike and let me know if I didn't like the SRAM Rockets we could swap them out and everyone would be happy. But I have a feeling I will like them alot. They get great press and reviews. Goodbye RF shifting and hello SRAM Rockets. I'll give you all a heads up on how I like them. I ride very tough and let's just hope there better then my LX I have on now which I hate them with the passion. I'm used to using XT and XTR stuff. Again thanks for the information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.