Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
caffeine dependent
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally replacing the crummy Coda "Expert" 2-by cranks on my Moots. I've had reasonable luck with them, much better than a lot of reviews I've read, but the 29T ring is so badly worn that if I ride in the wet and wash off all the lube, it chainsucks like a mutha.

I'm having a biznatch of a time finding a reasonably priced, reasonably light crank and rings. I want to run a 29 ring and a 44 ring, don't care what type of BB or crank style (4 or 5 arm, bolt circle diameter). I just need to line up parts soon to get the ride running again. I've got a SRAM 9-speed upgrade kit coming in the mail, so whatever recommendations you have should work with what I'm getting. Tell me what you're running and where you got it. If you're local to Boulder/Longmont, Colorado, that's even better.

Yo!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
29/42

bstiff said:
I'm finally replacing the crummy Coda "Expert" 2-by cranks on my Moots. I've had reasonable luck with them, much better than a lot of reviews I've read, but the 29T ring is so badly worn that if I ride in the wet and wash off all the lube, it chainsucks like a mutha.

I'm having a biznatch of a time finding a reasonably priced, reasonably light crank and rings. I want to run a 29 ring and a 44 ring, don't care what type of BB or crank style (4 or 5 arm, bolt circle diameter). I just need to line up parts soon to get the ride running again. I've got a SRAM 9-speed upgrade kit coming in the mail, so whatever recommendations you have should work with what I'm getting. Tell me what you're running and where you got it. If you're local to Boulder/Longmont, Colorado, that's even better.

Yo!
Runniing a 29/42 on a cold-forged Sugino 5-bolt compact crank. Got the 29t stainless steel ring from Ritchey, I think I bought the last 3 they had. Got the 42 out of a big dirty box full of chainrings in my garage.
Another way to go is to use a standard 110/74mm crank, and run a 28t granny as the inner and a 42 or whatever in the middle ring position, then you make a guard out of a 46 or 48 or so. adjust BB spindle length accordingly to shift the granny ring outboard a little so the setup functions as a double.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.