Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My FSA Carbon cranks failed today. :mad: :madmax: The pedal insert has loosened and is about to fall out. FSA has a 2 year warranty but since I got these off ebay I doubt I'm covered.

Now what?? I really want to keep the black color. Anyone have the truvativ Noir cranks?

Suggestions?

·
Living the Dream
1,808 Posts
I've heard FSA has a good warranty program

SSINGA said:
My FSA Carbon cranks failed today. :mad: :madmax: The pedal insert has loosened and is about to fall out. FSA has a 2 year warranty but since I got these off ebay I doubt I'm covered.

Now what?? I really want to keep the black color. Anyone have the truvativ Noir cranks?

Suggestions?
It's worth a shot and don't volunteer the ebay part. :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
cranks

This season I ran three different type of cranks. All of them were Xtype. The Race Face cranks failled on me, also one set wasn't machined properly and became cold welded after installation. A set of Truvative kept on working their way off.

IMHO Shimano has the best Xtype crank implementation. Both the truvative Race Face systems aren't designed nearly as well as the Shimano Cranks. Go with the new XTR!

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Carbon is for Knackers wit' no Stones

Dem fancy-pantsy carbon cranks wouldn't last me a month, OTOH the Shimano XT and XTR cranks have been totally 'Zilla proof :thumbsup: :

I just happen to be installing a stinger on my Spot so I had everything handy.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Cranked

Suggestions?
Ss why am I not surprised carbon on an RFX = not a good combo imo sorry not trying to be a smart arse here, Id also try warranty first!

Again don't go XTR:madman: if ya have to go Shimano go Saint they are the only ones worth having unless ya a lightweight XC rider and then why are ya on an RFX and I know youre not hehe, Ive seen XT burr on the spling while being jumped through a ditch not pretty when both crank arms end up in the south postion at the same time:eekster:

I freak when I hear XTR mentioned on any 6 + incher:eekster: let alone the RFX:nono: doh:skep:

I can never understand the RF is crap issue we all (my bros) come from Shimano and all now run RF after the lack of issus I ad and they had non stop problems, let me clarify not the cheap stuff RF but Atlas and Deus 3 sets Atlas 2 sets Deus and have never had an issue the bearings last 3-4 times longer than shitmano's the rings last about the same amount difference and setup wise its a brezze yeah I made some modes to fit the stinger chain guides but even this was simple for a home handy man.

Oh did I say ya can get em in black I won't be changing these for Shimano theyre stiffer stronger last and to me easy to setup even though the instructions are written by a moron or is that for a moron I don't know it seemed simple to me:)
Oh and Ive had XT, XTR still have em and can't give em away and Saint no issues with the saint but still like the RF Deus, Atlas, Diablous series for me and in black, ya can even get black rings now:thumbsup:

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Dem fancy-pantsy carbon cranks wouldn't last me a month, OTOH the Shimano XT and XTR cranks have been totally 'Zilla proof :thumbsup: :
daaaammmnnnn BZ...you kicked the crap out of those cranks! i hit mine on a couple of rocks today...couple of fun rock gardens on my ride...and i was freaking out that i was trashing my cranks...but i've got nothin' on you dude! :thumbsup::D

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PCinSC said:
At 1200 grams you might as well get the Saints. I personally am wary of the composite bashguards now anyway, although I seem to be in the minority with that sentiment.
OUCH!! 1200g - I missed that little detail. No Saints or any other 1200g cranks.

Maybe I need to be looking at the Truvativ Stylo 2.2 or 3.3 models??? Anyone using these? What type of attachment method is used to hold the non-drive side arm on?

FWIW - I already have that polycarb "plastic" bash ring and no XTR due to all the proprietary parts used.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Anybody ever run the Blackspire stuff? I really like the look, but am hesitant to try Octalink. Especially now that I've got XT installed and they've been problem free. I talked to them last year before iBike and they said they were in the process of designing a new non-X-type BB because the Octalink wasn't taking the FR abuse. Supposedly their rings are excellent.

Attachments

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
FoShizzle said:
my new years resolution is to get my RFX down to 32/33 lbs
:eek::eekster: dude, that's almost a 50% total weight loss...you're going to have to consider extreme surgical measures! :D :p

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.