Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question. I'm in serious bike build up research mode and trying to come across anyone who has ridden the crankbrothers DH or FR rims? I'm putting together a list of some potential wheelsets. Would like to actually get real life feed back rather the. Looking at cool pictures. Thanks for the help and guidence. Have a good one.

Z

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,998 Posts
Have not tried them...but I have been rockin Hadley Hubs and 823's for almost 5 years....Tubeless is awesome and the rim takes a pounding with my 210pound body and drops like this

Attachments

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
i don't think I have seen their FR/DH wheels yet...do you have a pic?
I've seen the orange ones meant for AM riding, and the blue XC ones...but never FR/DH.
If you're speaking RIMS only...then I'm totally lost.

Whatever you do, go tubeless like SMT said.

I've been riding deemax for the last 3 seasons with 0 issues or probs.
good luck with the build.

·
Living the High Life
4,543 Posts
Myself and several guys I know have looked at those wheels. No one has bought them yet, everyone is a little hesitant.

And yes, "823s plus X hubs" are great. I have Hope/823s right now but I was looking at CB, DeeMax and ADDs this year. I've owned ADDs, Outlaws and Big Earls; I'm leaning more towards DeeMax than all the other options.

I know this isn't exactly the info you wanted; but I figured you'd want to know there are a lot of folks waiting for real world non biased feedback on them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I took down some more options that some of you have listed. I have yet to come across a real full blown out test article. I must say that, some of my ridding amigos that work at a LBS tested a pair out, and they really didn't have anything bad to say about them. I think there is a small attraction due to them not being used as much as some other brands. I would have to agree with ya'll and run tubeless. I think between the Crankbrothers options of the DH and FR, I think if I were to pick between the two, I would go with the FR option. They look strong, and all and all, crankbrothers makes some sound components. I know they have had their fair share of some bogus equipment, but I have never had a problem with their CS which always helps for a returning customer. Just a little FYI, this new build will be a FR build based off of a 2010 Reign X frame. Most would say, why wouldn't you just go with their new SX or Faith? I own four bikes now, all different styles and I always end up swapping parts down the road anyway. I have always wanted to have a bike project where I slowly build up a rig. There really isn't a time line on this project, just something I think would be a cool experience, and at the end of the day, I wouldn't have to swap anything out. My big rig is a 09 Glory FR, the one that came with the 66 up front. I changed that out and put my Fox 40 up-front and lowered it down to 7.5inch. I moved from San Diego, where you mostly bomb downhill with the random jump or drop off along the way. I recently moved to Hood River, OR, where having a 45lb bike really isn't needed. Post Canyon, is barely 10 mins away from the house! So to keep yall from falling asleep reading this post, thats why I would like to build more of a light FR type set up. I'm a Giant fan, all my bikes are Giant, and I have never had any issues with them. So to build a set up between my Glory and my Reign, would be killer.

Possible set up:
M- 2010 Giant RX frame
Fox 36 RC2
Maybe CB FR wheelset
Maybe a Saint groupset, front to back
Maybe run a 203 up front

I know I'm going to hear, just get a Faith, and I have nothing against the new Faith. And I kow this is a more expensive path to go down, but it comes down to the fun of picking out individual parts and enjoying the process. As always, I'm open to all opinions and advice! This message board is a daily browsing experience. Thanks guys!

Z

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,998 Posts
zmtthw said:
Thanks for the info guys. I took down some more options that some of you have listed. I have yet to come across a real full blown out test article. I must say that, some of my ridding amigos that work at a LBS tested a pair out, and they really didn't have anything bad to say about them. I think there is a small attraction due to them not being used as much as some other brands. I would have to agree with ya'll and run tubeless. I think between the Crankbrothers options of the DH and FR, I think if I were to pick between the two, I would go with the FR option. They look strong, and all and all, crankbrothers makes some sound components. I know they have had their fair share of some bogus equipment, but I have never had a problem with their CS which always helps for a returning customer. Just a little FYI, this new build will be a FR build based off of a 2010 Reign X frame. Most would say, why wouldn't you just go with their new SX or Faith? I own four bikes now, all different styles and I always end up swapping parts down the road anyway. I have always wanted to have a bike project where I slowly build up a rig. There really isn't a time line on this project, just something I think would be a cool experience, and at the end of the day, I wouldn't have to swap anything out. My big rig is a 09 Glory FR, the one that came with the 66 up front. I changed that out and put my Fox 40 up-front and lowered it down to 7.5inch. I moved from San Diego, where you mostly bomb downhill with the random jump or drop off along the way. I recently moved to Hood River, OR, where having a 45lb bike really isn't needed. Post Canyon, is barely 10 mins away from the house! So to keep yall from falling asleep reading this post, thats why I would like to build more of a light FR type set up. I'm a Giant fan, all my bikes are Giant, and I have never had any issues with them. So to build a set up between my Glory and my Reign, would be killer.

Possible set up:
M- 2010 Giant RX frame
Fox 36 RC2
Maybe CB FR wheelset
Maybe a Saint groupset, front to back
Maybe run a 203 up front

I know I'm going to hear, just get a Faith, and I have nothing against the new Faith. And I kow this is a more expensive path to go down, but it comes down to the fun of picking out individual parts and enjoying the process. As always, I'm open to all opinions and advice! This message board is a daily browsing experience. Thanks guys!

Z
I love guinea pigs .....let us know

·
Registered
638 Posts
It seems these wheelsets are only offered in 12x150 rear hubs - keep that in mind, as an AM bike, the ReignX will not befriend these wheels.

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
If CB's wheels are anything like their seat posts or pedals, use caution. I've had a couple squirley landings and my seatpost torques out and gives up like a Frenchman to a German rifle, I've also sheared their pedals on drops... then again I'm 245#s so I might not have been their scope of user out of the box...

·
Demo 9 Rider
10 Posts
I picked up a set of the opiums last week. I'll be the guinea pig. I will be sure to report back if they differ that much from my 729 / Hadley build that I'm coming from. They sure look nice. This is my first tubeless setup too.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sold a bunch of both wheels. Only heard of a few problems with the freehubs. CB sent replacement freehubs though. I was skeptical about the wheels myself, but I have yet to hear any other bad remarks about the wheels.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm looking forward to hearing your review. You have a free second, could you snap a few pics? It's great to see actual color instead of looking off their web-page. I have even had the crazy idea of getting a raw colored bottlerocket frame with no decals and puttin those red wheels on with the red race face atlas FR cranks with matching handlebars. Would be a killer clod combo. I just have to decide between the two frames with their different suspension setups. My tax return can't come soon enough! Thanks again for all ya'lls insight. Standing by for those reviews.

Z

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,392 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
the Transition race team will be running them i think. Jill Kitner and Bryn Atkinson were running them all year last year. they didnt seem to have any problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
those look way more killer on a bike rather than jus ton cb's website. i've been wanting the opiums for a while. want to swap out my DT FR600 rims and DT 440 hubs w/ DT 14 guage spokes and get the cb wheelset on my driver 8. something about no holes drilled out in the rims and twinpair spokes making for easy truing just seems rad. it also seems like the rims would be bomb proof. not sure about the hub assembly though. looks legit but i'm waiting for someone to say they plain suck before i write it off. if cb is willing to replace hubs that go bad then it might not be too bad. at least they have killer cs. someone please buy my dt swiss wheelset! $900 ain't cheap!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The picture looks sick. Thats pretty cool that TBC race team is rocking them out. Looks like no one has the FR set yet?? I will have to look at the all tech info on the bottlerocket to see if these wheelsets will work with that frame. I came across one online bike selling place that was selling those FR wheelset for like around $750.00. Thats almost $300 bucks off. If I come across it again I will post the site for ya'll to check out. Thanks again for all the help.

Z

1 - 20 of 21 Posts