Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What lifespan do you get from your CB cleats?

• Up to 6 months

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Up to 1 year

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Up to 2 years

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • I switch shoes more often

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Yes, used the search engine, bit most discussions were quite old.

Anyway, I'll start commuting on the MTB again next month, 10 mile each way, so tempted to give clips another go. I'm done with Shimano SPD for good, get way too many accidental unclips with them. On the other hand, could try Crankbrothers Mallets this time.

My doubt is how much lifespan are people really getting out of CB cleats? I know it's less than with Shimano, but to what order of magnitude? 6 months? 1 year?

No, I'm not expecting super scientific answers, I realize it's hard to measure how many times you clip/unclip during that time, etc, just want to have an idea

· Never trust a fart
4,546 Posts
When I was running CB's, I always kept a spare set of cleats. Not sure how long they lasted, but once I started to exhibit poor entry/exit and/or popping out when riding I replaced them immediately.

· Registered
19 Posts
It depends on how much you ride and the type of riding you are doing. I was a CB only rider for a bunch of years. At the time I was racing XC and probably riding in the woods 3 days a week, 2 to 3 hours at a time. I would burn through CB cleats in about 8 weeks, but I was riding a lot. After the second incident where my cleat blew out on a decent and crushed me boys, I gave them up and switched to SPD. That was probably about 8 years ago. Since then, I've maybe replaced my cleats 3 times?

Also take into account, I used to have my CB pedals rebuilt or serviced at least once a year. I had the wires replaced so many times on at least one set, that CB took away my lifetime warranty on that set. I have a set of spd pedals, nothing nice, SLX maybe, that are around 15 years old. Still work fine, just retighten the release every few months.

· Registered
2,879 Posts
CB cleats are brass and designed to wear down faster than their pedals. (brass is softer than steel) I usually get a season out of a set, sometimes more, sometimes less. Really depends on how much you ride.

· Registered
111 Posts
I have a little over 2000 miles this year on my first and only set of cleats. I have two set of mallet e pedals for one bike. Using cb shoes too, I really like these. Nice wide foot box without being a wide shoe.

Enjoying cb’s extra float, tho I can’t feel it. Their customer service for me has been great. The pedals tend to wear out the bushing pretty quick with my xc style of riding. Cb sent me two new bearing/bushing kits for the mallets with little more than an email w/pics and receipt.

I have spd’s xt cleats and pedals too that are five years old with unknown miles. Thats l as far as I am concerned, still function well. Can’t say they are nearly as forgiving as the cb in the float.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.