Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the TRUE weights of these cranks?

XT-170mm w/bb
SLX-170mm w/bb
Saint 165mm w/bb

RaceFace Atlas FR 170mm w/bb
RaceFace Atlas FR 165mm w/bb

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Hmm it is going to depend on a lot of things you have left out:
rings, bb, bash, etc,etc...so it is not really quite so easy to compare apples to apples. Plus you are not even comparing the same length cranks....nor specific to bb width..nor items that are for the same use... nor in the same price range. You might as well add in XTR,, noir, and gravity gaps.....

You best bet for REAL weights for most of this stuff (at least enough to give you a realistic comparison)is sicklines. They have a weight gallery and all parts have to be pictured on a quality digi scale.

The other reality is that 100grams plus or minus will make ZERO difference in any facet of MTB (actually plus or minus a few pounds (other than outter wheel weight) will make no difference at all on a DH bike)....other than forum posting.

You need to decide what your use will be, how much you want to spend, and the differing technology offered. That will lead you to a part that will be the best for your use....not weights.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
davep said:
Hmm it is going to depend on a lot of things you have left out:
rings, bb, bash, etc,etc...so it is not really quite so easy to compare apples to apples. Plus you are not even comparing the same length cranks....nor specific to bb width..nor items that are for the same use... nor in the same price range. You might as well add in XTR,, noir, and gravity gaps.....

You best bet for REAL weights for most of this stuff (at least enough to give you a realistic comparison)is sicklines. They have a weight gallery and all parts have to be pictured on a quality digi scale.

The other reality is that 100grams plus or minus will make ZERO difference in any facet of MTB (actually plus or minus a few pounds (other than outter wheel weight) will make no difference at all on a DH bike)....other than forum posting.

You need to decide what your use will be, how much you want to spend, and the differing technology offered. That will lead you to a part that will be the best for your use....not weights.
You are right I need 68-73mm bb single ring on all of them. The 165's are for my Demo7, Elka rear shock, Fox 40 RC2, E-13 SRS+ 36t ring and bash guard so it is a toss up between the RF Atras Fr and the Saints
the 170's are for my transition Double and my Commencal Absolute 4x. The double is my all around bike and I was thinking RF Atlas FR 170s or SLX 170s with 36 or 34t ring and Gamut P-30.
The Commencal 4x HT i was thinking XT 170s with 36t ring and E-13 LG1+
All bikes are geared

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
davep said:
I find this kind of statement amusing. How many parts do you rekon there are on a FS bike?

Quick top up comes to about 25. Thats 2.5kg. 1kg of which is rotating weight. And I bet that you'd notice 1kg of rotating weight, as well as the fact that in alot of places you can save more than 100g per part. Yes hoping to notice a different by the change of one part to something 100g lighter is silly, but lots of weight changes add up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.