Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

At the moment I am considering the distance between the crank (center of pedal eye) and the tire. What distances have you all done?

I have two measurements off existing bikes, 73mm (700x28 wheel) and 80mm (700x35 wheel), both generally road bike geometries. The design I am working on has a distance of 110mm (26x1.50 wheel), and is more of a mountain bike geometry. The cranks on all three are 175mm.

One goal of this design is to have no toe overlap. I am working relative to the two bikes I measured and would like to get an idea of what this distance is on other bikes.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
For this measurement, I don't think its about what other bikes have, as much as if it work with the size of the rider and geometry of the frame. It either will produce no toe overlap or it will. Like you zeroed in on, tire diameter and even width for a given diameter will be a big consideration. And as you know, you cant slacken the head angle without handling implications and you cant extend reach without fit implications. If you don't have it already, BikeCAD is easily some of the best money you can spend!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts