Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· 29er Pilot
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time for a new crank set, and before the modreators suggest I ask this elsewhere, I want the opinion of a 29R Rider, not some yo-yo who thinks im a yo-yo for riding a...Well you get the point.

With the dollar always being a factor I have set my budget at 250 of them. Ive looked at a great many, but bang for the buck I'm lookng at the Race Face Evolve XC X-Type. Ive never had an external bearing set up before. Im loking for the real deal guys, the good, bad, and ugly of this setup. If anyone of you have/had this crank set let me know what you think/thought of it. There arent any in the product reviews.

THANKS!

· Registered
6,137 Posts
Shimano XT's

Disco_Inferno said:
Its time for a new crank set, and before the modreators suggest I ask this elsewhere, I want the opinion of a 29R Rider, not some yo-yo who thinks im a yo-yo for riding a...Well you get the point.

With the dollar always being a factor I have set my budget at 250 of them. Ive looked at a great many, but bang for the buck I'm lookng at the Race Face Evolve XC X-Type. Ive never had an external bearing set up before. Im loking for the real deal guys, the good, bad, and ugly of this setup. If anyone of you have/had this crank set let me know what you think/thought of it. There arent any in the product reviews.

THANKS![/QUOTE

Easy to install and remove. Stiff as heck and light :D

· dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,145 Posts
I didn't even consider XTs. It was that or Truvativ or FSA. I wanted an all SRAM bike, but had to go with raceface, marzi, and shimano, for a few key pieces. I'll drop those eventually.

I think the shimano design and the x-type design are more or less the same as far as ease-of-use and functionality.

-M

· Registered
216 Posts
Yes... XT 180's are readily available online.

BTW... the Hollowtech LX set at $161 is a tough deal to beat if you can live with 175mm arms. Bombproof and the only weight difference from XT is in the steel small ring which I prefer on a geared bike and toss for SS application.

· Registered
6,137 Posts
Shimano'd out

Disco_Inferno said:
Im kinda Shimano'd out, if thats a word, I think ill give the X-Type a go.
I am with you on the Shimano stuff except for the XT cranks. I have Sram shifters and drs's on my geared bike. I also run the XT's on my SS. I took a look at the X-Type and the XT's at my LBS. The mechanic suggested that I go with the XT's for set-up and quality reasons. He stated that the X-Type are "XT knock-offs".

Now are copies ever as good as the originals ;) Just kidding I think you will be fine with either one. I think that the X-Type maybe less expensive????

Enjoy!

· Registered
410 Posts
DeeZee said:
I am with you on the Shimano stuff except for the XT cranks. I have Sram shifters and drs's on my geared bike. I also run the XT's on my SS. I took a look at the X-Type and the XT's at my LBS. The mechanic suggested that I go with the XT's for set-up and quality reasons. He stated that the X-Type are "XT knock-offs".

Now are copies ever as good as the originals ;) Just kidding I think you will be fine with either one. I think that the X-Type maybe less expensive????

Enjoy!
If you stand right foot forward, it's better to have the left crank fixed to the spindle than the right. Standing reverses the torque on the left crank, and if there is any backlash in the attachment, it can loosen crank bolts as it did on Octalink and ISIS.

· Registered
6,137 Posts
Hummmm???

slim_pickens said:
If you stand right foot forward, it's better to have the left crank fixed to the spindle than the right. Standing reverses the torque on the left crank, and if there is any backlash in the attachment, it can loosen crank bolts as it did on Octalink and ISIS.
I have been running the 04 XT cranks for a while with no problems. The Race Face cranks (spindle type) I had prior to my XT's were always coming loose. I will keep my eye open......... :)

· Registered
512 Posts
White Industries ENO from Webcyclery is $185. I got mine in 180x34. Currently on 26'er, but will go on the 29 when I get one.

Square taper--I'm using a cheap shizmano BB now, but will upgrade to Phil Wood when I build the 29.

· Registered
132 Posts
4 bolt 20T and 21T chainring available

I bought a 4 bolt 21T granny from Action Tec for my Stylo Team cranks. Hardened titanium, expensive as hell, but you can get one. I read on one of the other forums that that Boone makes a 4 bolt 20 tooth.

slim_pickens said:
Is anyone still making a compact 5 bolt (58-94mm bcd)? I'd like 20-30-40 chainrings, but i can't get a 20 or 30 for the new standard 4 bolt.

· highly visible
3,283 Posts
slim_pickens said:
Is anyone still making a compact 5 bolt (58-94mm bcd)? I'd like 20-30-40 chainrings, but i can't get a 20 or 30 for the new standard 4 bolt.
Not that I know of, but NOS Ritchey cranksets of the 5 bolt compact variety appear on eBay all the time, usually Buy It Now for $70. Dunno what lengths those are coming in at though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.