Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am having some issues with climbing while I am on the trails. I know that it has a lot to do with my fitness level which can always be improved. with that out of the way here is my setup:

Gary Fischer Wahoo 3X8 for my drivetrain.

I upgraded my rear wheel from a 2" to a 2.25" a couple of years ago. When I did that my granny gear on my crankset I could not use because the chain would rub on the tire. To counter this I locked out that gear, so I am essentially running a 2X8. I want to go to a smaller tooth size for this middle gear to make it easier for me to do my climbing. Is there a spacer or "dummy gear" that I can put in that will shift my granny gear one level out so that I can use it as a climbing gear?

I am thinking that I will have the same issue if I completely replaced the crankset due to the wider back tire.

Any ideas or thoughts on things to do?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,789 Posts
Hey all,

I am having some issues with climbing while I am on the trails. I know that it has a lot to do with my fitness level which can always be improved. with that out of the way here is my setup:

Gary Fischer Wahoo 3X8 for my drivetrain.

I upgraded my rear wheel from a 2" to a 2.25" a couple of years ago. When I did that my granny gear on my crankset I could not use because the chain would rub on the tire. To counter this I locked out that gear, so I am essentially running a 2X8. I want to go to a smaller tooth size for this middle gear to make it easier for me to do my climbing. Is there a spacer or "dummy gear" that I can put in that will shift my granny gear one level out so that I can use it as a climbing gear?

I am thinking that I will have the same issue if I completely replaced the crankset due to the wider back tire.

Any ideas or thoughts on things to do?
Sounds strange, usually a 2.0 vs 2.25 tire would NOT make the chain rub. On a 3x8 bike, you'd likely have some kind of old cartridge BB and square-taper cranks. Has the BB ever been replaced?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.