Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need to get the crank off my bike. It's a Race face ride with an X-Type bottom bracket.

I look up on the net how to remove it. "Take off the centre bolt and tap it off with a mallet".

I've found the "tapping off with a mallet" does not seem to be doing the trick and I've hit it as hard as I am comfortable with.

Do I need a crank extractor to remove it? Any recommendations?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
it should have aself extracting crank bolt, your LBS can always help, a small amount of labor or a 6-pack can save you hundreds if you don't know what your doing

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, should have a self extracting crank bolt.

There is a cover that can be removed with a 10mm hex and the crankbolt should be an 8mm hex. The key is to not remove the cover over the crankbolt before you begin disassembley. The crankbolt will push against the cover as you loosen and extract the driveside crankarm. You can use a rubber mallet to aid in the removal of the spindle and non-driveside from the bottom bracket if necessary, but a couple of good wacks with the palm of your hand should work for that.

·
Registered
353 Posts
fran said:
I agree with the above. I have a set of deus xc 2008, and they don`t come with self-pulling bolt...an isis crank extractor does the job just fine...
That is because the original design was not fit for purpose as some of us, who have fixed dozens of X-Type crankset related problems, have found out. What usually happens is that you end up rounding the 10mm Allen Key hole if you try to use it on a set of cranks that have seen months of abuse. On an expensive set of RF cranks, the rounded hole is unsightly and a hassle to replace.

The aluminium self extracting crank bolt is a good idea on paper, but under real world test conditions, it doesn't work very well. The only other use that the 10mm bolt (or screw) is good for, is to keep the 8mm crank bolt in place. I found this out through observation; and the small torque setting printed on its surface also gives away its intended purpose.

The only other external bottom bracket system where the self extracting crank bolt works well is the Truvativ Giga X Pipe system, and that is because the service instructions tell you to be liberal with the grease when you come to intall the crankset.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.