Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at this forum for a long time with multiple questions in my head, finally i have decided to post my first one, i figured who better to ask.
here is my situation:
currently planning my first SS mtb, and i was wondering about cranks, since this is my first SS i am using a pretty tight budget, also i'm at college so funds are limited. but my question arrises in the crank choosing department, i have been looking all over looking for a inexpensive way to get a crank (buying crank arms off ebay, buying a crank off ebay, or off the mtbr classifieds). But it came to mind, what about a BMX bike crank? Would using a BMX crank work?(3 piece) I don't know if the BB would work, or what would be wrong. that is probably the main problem, but they come in 180mm which is kinda what i've decided to go for. So i don't know if anyone has tried this yet, or if it is just a silly idea. also what are some recommendations from those of you who have tried different options or those of you who found the perfect crank, because if it is worth it i may just spend the money on a good one, but not sure yet.

Thank
willis

·
Registered
744 Posts
Do a search for BMX cranks on this forum

Do a search for BMX cranks on this forum, its been discussed a bunch. Most 180mm 3pc BMX cranks with a Euro BB will work fine. It can take a while though to get all the parts just right though. Profile-type 48spline BBs seem to be pretty common, Azonic makes some nice ones with a pinchbolt. You also have to look at a chainwheel or spider. And don't forget the little chainwheel adapter for the correct spindle size.

willis.4 said:
I've been looking at this forum for a long time with multiple questions in my head, finally i have decided to post my first one, i figured who better to ask.
here is my situation:
currently planning my first SS mtb, and i was wondering about cranks, since this is my first SS i am using a pretty tight budget, also i'm at college so funds are limited. but my question arrises in the crank choosing department, i have been looking all over looking for a inexpensive way to get a crank (buying crank arms off ebay, buying a crank off ebay, or off the mtbr classifieds). But it came to mind, what about a BMX bike crank? Would using a BMX crank work?(3 piece) I don't know if the BB would work, or what would be wrong. that is probably the main problem, but they come in 180mm which is kinda what i've decided to go for. So i don't know if anyone has tried this yet, or if it is just a silly idea. also what are some recommendations from those of you who have tried different options or those of you who found the perfect crank, because if it is worth it i may just spend the money on a good one, but not sure yet.

Thank
willis

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Cheap vs Ideal vs Burly vs Light

Lots to consider, but you said cheap, so we'll got there first. A Truvative 5D from Nashbar and a square taper BB and SS ring total should be around $60 to 70. The old Truvative Stylo SS is nice because it comes with an SS ring and bashring, good deals because they have been upgraded in '05 and most of the ones still available are being closed out. There are some cheap SS cranks on ebay frequently called cyclone, I've never tried them, but I think they also take square taper BB. You can go used..... most any decent MTB crank with removable rings should work, you may have to play with the BB width depending on if you will have a freewheel on the rear hub and/or if you will run a bashring or not. Aesthetically I like to run the ring in the outer position if I'm not using a bash ring.

Ideal is probably to get a good SS crank like a White Industries ENO for about $185
The new Stylo is nicer than the old one and has the new style outboard bearing BB. My personal favorite is an XT crank in 180mm length, they are still relatively cheap and are easy to deal with. An LX crank is also good, but does not come in 180mm. With an XT or LX crankset you can sell the rings and probably easily pay for the SS ring. XTR is real nice and can be run with a spiderless ring which looks cool, but costs $$$.

For Burley but heavy, I have a Blackspire DH crank with ring and gaurd that will go on a heavy duty Clydesdale SS bike I'm building. Some of the other freeride and DH cranks are real cool, but they tend to be heavy and may only come in 175mm length. BMX cranks fit the burley but heavy catagory too. They can definately be used effectively for SS and the fact that you can get them in 180mm,185mm and longer length makes them attractive. They are super durable, heavy and not cheap, costing probably as much as a good SS specific crankset. Also with BMX cranks there seem to be fewer options which use the euro BB and come in long lengths. Don't buy the nice cheap BMX 180mm crank arms on ebay until you are sure you can get the right spindle, there's a reason they are cheap.............Confused yet, or did I help some?

Here are pics of a three SS bikes with regular MTB cranksets I've set-up for SS recently.

Attachments

·
Reformed car junkie
194 Posts
I have a set of those cyclones off ebay that were mentioned above. They are square taper, 175mm and 38T with a bash guard. They arnt that light but they are still as hell. the 38t ring is kinda limiting though.
They are a good alternitive to have though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
SandmanLJS said:
I have a set of those cyclones off ebay that were mentioned above. They are square taper, 175mm and 38T with a bash guard. They arnt that light but they are still as hell. the 38t ring is kinda limiting though.
They are a good alternitive to have though.
I bought a set of the Cyclones off of Ebay. They have a 1/8" chain ring and I have already stripped the pedal threads. Not taking them on and off ! They were also tourqed. I do not recommend these. I am now lookin for a better set. You get what you pay for.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Mattman mentioned XT or LX cranks, if you want to go cheaper give Deore cranks a chance. I run an Octalink 175mm set with XT 63x113 BB and a Salsa ring on the outer position.

You can sell the original rings and get some cash for other parts.

·
Registered
354 Posts
profiles availible for less

Ganze said:
Check out Dan's Competition for the bmx stuff. It will be trial and error not matter what you do if you go bmx. I use profiles.
I recently found a pair of profiles, in 180 W euro BB, and spider for $100 , in the mtbr classifieds this is the type of deal you are looking for, just needs either a cheap ring for the spider or a one piece bmx chain wheel, $15-50. I found a bought a pair of profiles w/ti spindle off a friend who was parting out his bmx bike $125 with a chain wheel that was too big, but pretty. I bought a S&M euro conversion kit for $30 from dans then bought a mosh (giant) heavy duty bmx chainwheel w/ integrated bash gaurd, for $40. A s&m converter kit will work for most bmx cranks, as long as it has a 19mm spindle.
Bmx cranks are cool tough stiff, heavy, and look awesome, but a decent square taper crank and a xt un72 bottom bracket, can be found for quite a bit less, though 180mm length can be harder to find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.