Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
soulrider
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought a new frame and had a reputable bike shop swap parts over from my old frame. I also bought a race face bottom bracket and crankset. All of this was installed by the shop. after a 1 hour ride i cleaned the bike and noticed some horizontal play in the bb. i took the bike to the shop. the guy that built my bike was there and said it was nothing to worry about, and said that he would tighten it and he did. But, after my next ride it loosened again. I took the bike in and they said they would contact raceface for a possible warrenty. Raceface says they will not warrenty because i rode on it when it was loose. Now this is an isis drive crankarm and bb. My understanding is that they are strong. Actually they are great i have had several other bikes with them. I am calling a bad install on this one and asking to get a comped part. The shop manager is refusing to give me the crank and says it might have been a bad install but he cant be sure so he will "meet me in the midde." (read sell me it at cost so only i lose money) Anyone have some advice on how to deal with this.

·
soulrider
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ban shop

considering they are a online outfitter should we all ban them then. I am a long time customer and have spent thousands there so i am pissed that they are not comping me. I also sent a formal request to raceface to drop them as a dealer due to unprofessional conduct
and improper installation, and no responsibility for their installs.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
slotownfr said:
considering they are a online outfitter should we all ban them then. I am a long time customer and have spent thousands there so i am pissed that they are not comping me. I also sent a formal request to raceface to drop them as a dealer due to unprofessional conduct
and improper installation, and no responsibility for their installs.
who are they?????

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
call RF yourself and get a RA# then send them to RF yourself, you have a lifetime warranty, you will get a hook up...
hmm sounds like the bike shop wants more of your $$$$$$$$$$$...who is it???

·
soulrider
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who are they

They are Cambira Bicycle Outfitters. I live in San Luis Obispo Cali, and this is their flagship store, they move 5 milllion $ in merch each year, and i have spent 2000 this year alone, normally i have a good interaction, but their not standing behing their build quality so i am going to not shop there anymore.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
slotownfr said:
They are Cambira Bicycle Outfitters. I live in San Luis Obispo Cali, and this is their flagship store, they move 5 milllion $ in merch each year, and i have spent 2000 this year alone, normally i have a good interaction, but their not standing behing their build quality so i am going to not shop there anymore.
If they truely have a lifetime warranty I would speak to the manager or the owner of the shop...and call them on it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Is the shop you took it to a small LBS or a place like Performance or Supergo? If I were you I would pretty much raise holy hell to the shop manager. From what I understand you just bought the crankset and bb from this LBS and they installed it right? I don't understand how they have any ground to stand on because you brought in your bike with the problem right away. The guy who built a.k.a. fuct up your bike "fixed' the loose bb HE installed in the first place and sent you on your way. You brought it back with the same problem right away, not after a month of hard riding and then they tell you "sorry your screwed", something does not seem right with this LBS.

If the LBS guys don't make this right I think it would be justified for you to start being a dik. I would tell this shop manager that if he does not get your bike working for free (because you already bought the bb from them and had them install it for you) you are going to be a very unhappy vocal customer. Keep your cool, don't yell, and don't make him feel threatened but just let them know your plan. Which should be and tell them that they just lost a good customer (you), that you will never recommend them to any of your friends and that you post a lot, on a bunch of forums and you are going to make sure everyone know how they treated you and about how they did not care enough about you as a customer to fix a mistake made by one of their employees and how they would not even take a loss of what $40-$50 bucks to make you happy.

It's important for a LBS to back up it's work and if they won't you want to make sure they don't screw any of your friends. It's one thing if you bought the crankset and bb and installed it yourself, wrong and then brought it in and someone there tried to fix it but they did the build!!!

I think SMT's suggestion is great but only as a last resort because I really think the LBS is responsible. Do they have any kind of labor warranty or something like that? Also I know this sounds easy on paper but I would try to return anything you can that you bought from there just to make a point.

I feel so strong about this because I work as a computer tech in a retail enviroment which is similar to a LBS. If you were to buy the parts for a computer at my shop and I built it for you I would back my work up for 90 days. If I installed a part wrong and it caused any damage, covered by warranty or not I would eat the cost to make it right, no $hit.

Good luck with this and I bet if you contact Race Face they will cover the warranty because you never rode with it loose ;) ;)

·
soulrider
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bike shop size

I agree that it is 100% the LBS's fault, and no they are quite large, their website is cambriabike.com and they made 5 million in profit last year, i am going to just boycott them, but i will first talk to them tomorrow and try to convice them of my point for the third time. Maybe i will convince them, probably not. I have already talked to the manager and he says that because he didnt build it he cant say that it was installed properly or improperly. the analogy i use is that if you had your brakes installed and they failed would it be your fault or the mechaics fault. Obviously it is the mechanic, and i think that it is the same here.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
slotownfr said:
I agree that it is 100% the LBS's fault, and no they are quite large, their website is cambriabike.com and they made 5 million in profit last year, i am going to just boycott them, but i will first talk to them tomorrow and try to convice them of my point for the third time. Maybe i will convince them, probably not. I have already talked to the manager and he says that because he didnt build it he cant say that it was installed properly or improperly. the analogy i use is that if you had your brakes installed and they failed would it be your fault or the mechaics fault. Obviously it is the mechanic, and i think that it is the same here.
let us know tomorrow what happens

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah you could say Cambriabikes.com is large. I can't believe a company that large is busting your bawls over a bb. Where is this "manager" coming up with this stuff "that because he didnt build it he cant say that it was installed properly or improperly". Who does he think installed it then? That's BS and I for one will join you in this boycott if they don't make this right for you. :mad:

·
soulrider
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks

thanks for the support, i'll update tomorrow. and it isnt just for the bb the play also damaged the crank arm which is considerably more expesive, this is going to cost me about 100 dollars if they make me pay for it, but i am hoping for the best

·
Registered
114 Posts
Oh man that just sucks, $100 for parts you just bought from them. I can't believe this is even an issue for them. Let them know that they are going to loose business over this unless they make this right!!!

Keep us updated!!

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Since you have a detailed a receipt for the parts and labor (you do, don't you?) it should be no problem to elevate the problem over the floor manager to CBO ownership. Failing CBO response, that receipt certainly would be key in any proceedings with RaceFace or the BBB or a court...but if your facts are similar to your statements here (1) that they move $5M in merchandise per year and (2) that they make $5M in profits each year, I don't know....

·
soulrider
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Profit

Sorry i mistyped in the first one they make 5 million a year, my dad used to know the owner. Thats how i came to know of their buisness before they opened a shop. they used to just be a mail order company.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
well first off, you can properly torque a new crank and it can come loose when first riding; this is the nature of tapers (ISIS uses tapered splines, crappy design IMO). Also as far as you said, it has only loosened once again....well tighten the damn thing, maybe use locktite.

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
Also as far as you said, it has only loosened once again....well tighten the damn thing, maybe use locktite.
Yeah, but the looseing caused damage to his crank arm and BB and because the LBS installed the parts, correctly or incorrectly doesn't matter, the LBS should warrenty/replace the parts at no cost.

·
soulrider
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
solved

Yeah i was thinking of using lock tite on the bolt, but then i thought it might be bad to get that
stuff anywhere near my bb bearings. So anyway i will be getting the part warrentied by RF due to the fact that when the bike shop called the real warrenty guy was already at sea otter setting up, so they got some joe that just said no without looking at the part first, and to awnser zedro's question, yeah i know the bolt can loosen, so i tightened it again, and then it came loose after 15 min of dj. Raceface's original reason for not issuing the warrenty was that i rode on it when it was loose. Now i find that kind of unreasonable, because if it comes loose during a ride you wont notice it until its really loose. Either way RF will actually look at the crank this time, and more than likely i will get the warrenty, mainly because the head warrenty guy knows that this shop orders $60000 worth of parts a year from them. This number is from the manager at the shop so i am not making it up. Either way its resolved. Thanks for the advise everyone

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.