Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Specialized Rockhopper a year ago because I couldn't resist the 329 dollar price. Since then I replaced the rims, brakes, seatpost, saddle, front derailleur, handlebars, stem, pedals, tires, and some other stuff I am probably leaving out.

What's still stock is the Manitou Axel Comp fork with 100mm travel and the TruVativ 5D crank.

I'm sort of split whether to upgrade to a fork that has a lockout (remote) and preload settings, or whether to get a smoother and more durable crank (I've had to repack the 5D once already, but that may have to do with the original assembly of the bike).

Clearly the fork is more expensive, since a RaceFace crank will run me less than 200 bucks, but I'm sort of at a loss where to go?

The Manitou isn't that great for the aggressive riding I do, but upgrading to a new fork means that I'll have to make sure it's rim brake compatible since I'm running Avid Single Digit 5's and have no disc hubs.

I'm thinking of several forks but don't know if it's worth the effort pricewise, this is more of a basher/XC/urban bike.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
If you can afford it you will notice bigger gains with a better fork in my opinion. make sure you stay around the 100mm travel range though otherwise it will change the geometry of the bike resulting in different handling and it could also put alot more stress on the front of the bike causing frame failure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I second the vote for a fork upgrade, makes much more of a difference to your ride quality than your BB. Having said that, though -- when you eventually replace the bottom bracket and/or crankset, if you get an outboard-bearing bottom bracket, have a shop face the bottom bracket shell to ensure that the cups will be sitting parallel to each other. That will help with the longevity of the bearings. Most new bikes that aren't super expensive have their BB shell painted and practically never faced, just left in whatever "close enough for inexpensive" shape it was in when the frame got welded up. Which is to say, not necessarily aligned perfectly parallel to the main axis of the bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.