Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently starting having a noise coming from area of the crank on my fairly new Specialized FSR xc bike. specifics are:

• it is a metallic clicking noise, kind of like tapping a screw driver on a metal tube. volume of the noise doesn't change if I change amount of power applied to pedal.
  • it occurs only when I am applying power with right pedal - not when spinning freely or when applying power only with left pedal
  • it occurs when right pedal is at top of it's rotation - independent of gear or chainring
  • I have ruled out the pedal itself (shimano 505) as source of noise, by greasing contact points and also by unclipping and rotating pedal with heel (noise still occurs).

I spoke with the LBS where I bought it, and they say they would take it apart and hope that it goes away when re-assembled properly. Anyone with experience suggesting a better solution?

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Had that exact same problem on the 1st mtn bike I bought in 2000. The 3rd day I owned it I took it back to the shop I bought it from and he owner couldn't find the problem, said he couldn't get it to do what I said it was. I walked the bike out of the shop and threw my leg across it and the 1st time the right pedal came to the top of its stroke, "click". I never went back. I got on line and ended up at Sheldon Browns website and figured out the right pedal was loose. Now, the owner of the shop I purchased the bike at had been riding for many yrs and had owned the shop for many yrs AND he and his wife were both racers. You said you checked the pedal but you didn't say that you checked to see if it was indeed tightened properly at the crank. It could be the bb, but you gotta go though and eleminate each possibility.

Just a thought....hope you get'er figgered out and by all means let us know what you find out and how you remedied the issue.

·
Jesus loved the dinosaurs
360 Posts
Probably just a creaky bottom bracket. If the bike is new, I'd just pull the BB, put some Teflon tape around the threads (ie plumber's tape), then reinstall. That's probably what the shop is going to do.

Also, make sure it's not your seatpost. Sometimes that sounds like a creaky bottom bracket, as well. Just pull out, grease, then reinsert. (ok, stop snickering...)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.