Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know.....I know....this has been beaten to death and I've read many similar posts - but this is a pretty good article that I figured I'd share with ya'll. Crank Length: Coming Full Circle

I recently shortened my cranks from 175mm to 170mm and was doing a lot of research to see if I should also lower my seat by 5mm. In my mind - doesn't this negate the whole idea of shortening the crank in the first place? However, I guess it's also about adjusting everything to fit the shorter stroke and reach that my leg now has to travel....right? :madman:

I have no pains or issues on my bike now, but saw a good deal on a set of XT cranks and jumped at it. I'm also shorter than average and have a 28in inseam. I'm trying to get more efficient at spinning and lasting longer on the climbs.

Anyway, I'm going to try it out tomorrow, without moving my seat, and see how it goes. Then adjust from there. Thoughts?

·
Registered
668 Posts
if the crank is 5mm shorter, the pedal will be 5mm HIGHER at the bottom, meaning you would raise the seat 5mm. No?

That article says "potentially lower seat heights" I would assume it achieves this by lowering the bottom-bracket to keep the same pedal to ground height. If you shorten the crank 5mm and lower the seat 5mm (with the same frame) your seat will be 10mm closer to the pedal. later in the article it says it this way:

"“Martin has determined that shorter cranks can allow a rider to increase saddle height by 5-7 mm with a comparable lowering of the front end – i.e. lower overall rider position, since the more contained pedaling action was less inhibitive with regard to leg movement and breathing." which I assume means with the same frame.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts