Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. so I have had an on going problem of trying to track down a set of square taper cranks with a 5 bolt compact spider. I really want to run a 22-30-44 chainring setup so I can stay in my middle ring for a longer period of time. However with all the new cranks being four bolt the smallest middle you can physically run is a 32. I also would enjoy a square taper do to some of the new x-types having such a wide q-factor. I found some alright deals on some isis raceface turbines, but I'm worried isis bottom brackets may not be around for that much longer, and I heard they were out fast. Raceface doesn't even make any higher end isis bbs anymore they only make the cheap ones that you can't rebuild. However people still make really nice and light square taper bbs (phil wood, campy, etc.). Used square taper cranks have been selling on ebay for upwards of 160 dollars without rings, and I would really like a new set, and I need more than one. So needless to say I have been searching the internet endlessly for a set of new turbines. I recently thought about a company I saw at interbike called Moonhead Machining. They had some really sweet cranks that were square taper (they had that n.o.s. red Mantis that was stolen) Anways I emailed them and they said they were going to go ahead and make those cranks and the would either be square taper or an x-type, your choice. They would also have a replacable spider so you could put any size on that you wanted. The bad news is that they don't know when they will be ready. So I was hoping you guys could maybe send them a little push to get them going. I know there are others out there with the same problem. Here is the original email:

Hey, thanks for keeping us in mind all this time. We're working on a
couple different cranksets at the moment. The arms we showed at
interbike we did intend on producing, but the market was in a state of
change at that point, and we had to reevaluate. In the time since,
those cranks have evolved into our heavy use & freeride cranks. We've
got an entirely new hollow model underway for XC purposes. All our
cranks are undergoing testing right now, and in the mean time, we're
busy working out the other ringsets so they'll be ready when the arms
are. Unfortunately, the timeframe is completely up in the air,
especially now that we're gearing up for a move into a new facility.
What we can say for sure is that they'll be available in sq taper and
24mm integrated configurations, and feature a removable spider for your
choice of bolt configs to support 20/30/42 & up triple arrays, CX, SS, &
RD configurations. Hope this helps, and if you have any other
questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for checking in!
Pete

Pete Doering
Moonhead Machine

email them here with you comments [email protected]

visit them here www.moonheadmachine.com

·
Registered
136 Posts
Cranks

There are a number of ways to resolve this problem but might take either an ISIS or Shamino splined BB. RaceFace makes a 94/58 5 bolt crank in both the Turbine (hard to find or was) and the Northshore (100g heavier). You can also get a 94/58 5 bolt replacement spider that fits the older XTR cranks and you might find and even older XTR that has a square taper. Salsa makes a great set of matched rings for these spiders which I run a 20/30/42 and have never had a problem. Make sure if your going to look at this option the chainstay doesn't interfer with the front mech. using the smaller rings. I have 4 bikes set up this way and have never had an issue.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I metioned early about the option of the isis turbines and I knew about the xtr option as well. However I think there are issues with the isis bb's, in that they wear out too fast. I am also worried that I will not be able to find a nice ti isi for weight savings or one that I can rebuild. The problem with xtr is the price. By the time I get the cranks, the bb, the replacement spider, and the all three replacement rings, I'm looking at a pretty good chunk of change for a crank that's not even made anymore. Not to metion how much longer is shimano going to make those bb's for, since all their cranks are now 2-piece. Besides, I'm a sram man :D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Suggestions

There are still some manufacturers doing cranks in a 94 config., you just may have to make some compromises.
I am interested in these Moonheads, does anyone have a photo? I will have to check out their site as well.
Finally, Profile still makes a steel crank with a replaceable spider. This may be a little heavier, but their are a ton of lengths available and you could also upgrade to a Ti spindle for some weight savings.
I have been using ISIS BB' since they came out, and have gone through several as well. I find the best out there are FSA's and Truvativ's. So you could just stock up on a couple while they are still made, if your worried about this, and use the ol' RaceFace Turbine's. Although, you better fnd a set soon, because they aren't making them anymore from what I understand. If you get them without rings, Salsa makes some great shifting and looking rings, or you could pony up and buy the RF's.

·
Eff U Gee Em
159 Posts
White Industries?

Have you contacted White Industries? They show a square-taper crank on their website for single-speed but it is designed to have the ring mount on a spline and be held in place with a lockring. Seems to me it wouldn't be too difficult for them to make a spider that would hold 3 rings. Heck, they even advertise on their website that they can make anything you can think of.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Darik said:
O.K. so I have had an on going problem of trying to track down a set of square taper cranks with a 5 bolt compact spider.
If you're looking for 175mm, you can find them here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56193&item=7147627434&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56193&item=7147636161&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

The non-drive side is 177.5, but no big deal ... 175mm left arms are a dime a dozen, if that's what you need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.