Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new crankset and bottom bracket and was wondering how difficult it would be to install myself? I have probably a little less that average experience working on bikes, but if I bought the right tools, how hard would it be? I would like to start learning some more about workin gon bikes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its VERY easy yet a lil tricky...the drive side on the bottom bracket shell is reverse thread so it spins backwards to what you think it should other then that its pretty much take off put on nothin to it should take you all of 5-6 minutes

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Not difficult, grease up the shell like crazy, plug any holes in the shell with lots of grease. The other day, I poured a shotglass full of water out of my seattube. It would've been in my BB shell if I hadn't plugged the hole with grease.

Wrap the threads of the cups in about 3 layers of white plumbers tape. Grease generously.

Drive side is reverse threaded. Thread em in nice and tight, use a torque wrench if you got one.

·
Registered
834 Posts
you proabably need a bb tool. theres a couple different kinds. make sure when you tighten it you push it down really hard because its easy for it to slip and mess up some of the metal on the bb

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
You'll need a crank puller and a bb-tool. Make sure you get the proper crank puller, there's one for regular square taper cranks, and one for use with bb's that have hollow axles, like ISIS or Octalink. You'll also need the proper bottom bracket tool. There are a few different ones out there, make sure you get the right one.

G

·
Its also easier to take out the right cup first, and then the rest of the BB as a whole. If thats how it is....

Cup first, not sure which side its on lol

G

·
mtb_biker said:
The cup is on the left side.
I typed left the first time, then erased it and put right........
I just went and looked at my old BB and the cup is on the left

Left cup out first, then the rest of the BB is the easier way...

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you do things right the first time you will avoid the pitfalls that notoriously follows hack jobs
-squeeking, creaking etc etc

truvativs bbs require 30ft lbs of torque per cup(torque is different dependant on the manufacturer) brand new bbs usually have an antisieze applied to the threads in the middle. though I always apply 242 loctite to the threads of metal cups(first 3 threads) this is enough the maintain the bb cups in place to prevent creaking, or loosening off. grease is temporary and only seems to muffle the inevitable.
As per the wize guy who plugged his holes in his bb shell with grease, the hole is meant for condensation collected within the frame to drain out. Not so much a problem for aluminum frames, but the bb on the other hand.
Get a torque wrench, borrow a torque wrench and follow manufaturer installation(some fat guy didnt just type them out for you to throw them away)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.