Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I have some play between the chainring thing and the crank. I want to know how to get it apart and or tighten it so it doesn't move as much. It is also wobbling a big when I would pedal and causes the chain to come off under heavier loads. I marked it with a marker so you can tell how much it moves. Is it pressed in there?
edit: Sorry about the oversized pics

· Premium Member
48,161 Posts
Your entire crank set is trashed. The spindle hole on the crank is wallowed out from being used with the crank loose. The chainrings are totally worn out. With the rings looking that worn, your chain and cassette probably need replacing, too.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jeffscott said:
Great shots of a totally blown out system.

How long have you been riding that, I'll bet your down to oh 35% mechanical efficiency.

You'll probably go twice as fast when you get the entire drive train renewed.
35% ahahhaha.
Probably 2%.
My rims are ovals, my cables are broken and have the front derailer rigged to stay in one gear.
Mechanically the chain is rusted and bent, the teath are wearing on the cassette and such. Recently my rear derailer was hitting my spokes. It got caught in there and it bent in the back part of the frame (where the rear derailer connects to the frame). The bike shop says they can't fix it for insurance reasons (but it is a non stress member :confused: ). I've recently pulled it out to get it to work again.

I've ridden this thing into the ground because I'm to cheap to get new parts. I'm thinking maybe I can get a friend to weld it to keep it from having play in it, but do you guys think that is a good idea?

· Premium Member
48,161 Posts
number77 said:
35% ahahhaha.
Probably 2%.
My rims are ovals, my cables are broken and have the front derailer rigged to stay in one gear.
Mechanically the chain is rusted and bent, the teath are wearing on the cassette and such. Recently my rear derailer was hitting my spokes. It got caught in there and it bent in the back part of the frame (where the rear derailer connects to the frame). The bike shop says they can't fix it for insurance reasons (but it is a non stress member :confused: ). I've recently pulled it out to get it to work again.

I've ridden this thing into the ground because I'm to cheap to get new parts. I'm thinking maybe I can get a friend to weld it to keep it from having play in it, but do you guys think that is a good idea?
No. I think you need a new bike but only if you are willing to do some regular maintenance on it. A decent bike will last a long time with a like care rather than treating it like a paper plate (totally disposable).

· Old man on a bike
12,390 Posts
Number77 probably already has a ruler somewhere, that's better than a chain checker...he just needs to learn how to use it on his chain. Was that an aluminum frame the shop was afraid of straightening? Agree with the others, though, it's time to look for a newer one and learn how to maintain it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.