Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am converting a Noir 3.3 Team crankset to use on my singlespeed. I am also installing a King BB.

I currently have a a Truvativ Stylo 1.1 w/ bashguard and BB.

For purely aesthetic reasons, I want to run my chainring (HBC) outboard, no bash guard.

Now, I assume I will need to move my (Surly) cog out the thickness of the spider, something like 2 mm. The spacers now were both measured at 5.15 mm. If I put a 7mm spacer on the inside, can I get away with a 4mm on the outside? I ask because these are sizes readily available. It is a King singleseed hub, if that matters.

I don't really want to use a 2+1 spacer if I can avoid it. I will actually measue the spider with calipers, but they are at work.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'm currently building a SS SIR9 for a customer using a Noir 1.1 crankset. He wanted the carbon guard taken off and the chainring put on the outside. Well, I installed the crankset with the chainring on the middle (default) position and checked the chainline... came about 5mm from the inside of the chain stay, so there's no way moving the chainring would have worked on the outside without messing up the chainline too bad.

Give it a try and check your chainline... what's the worst that could happen?

Adam

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have my BB installed yet, so I was looking for info on spacers beforehand. I can't put it together just yet, but I could try with the Truvativ BB.

You are saying outboard would not work in your instance? I am not picturing what would be the issue with the inside of the chain stay though. Was the cog close to rubbing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.