Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up a brand new 2010 XL 5spot, fitted a Hope Ceramic BB & 180mm M970 XTR cranks but the non drive side crankarm is VERY close to the swingarm, less than 4mm & I can squeeze them to make them touch with not much force - anyone else had this?
I'm guessing it will be slightly better when sat on the bike but not by much - are 175mm cranks OK?

·
Registered
501 Posts
make sure the cranks are centered . . . if they are and you can't get additional clearance they will hit when you are putting the power to the pedals. Had the same clearance problem you have on a 2009 spot with RF Atlas cranks - changed to XT cranks which solved the problem. However the same RF cranks work fine on he 2009 Sultan - go figure.

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Just like my 2010 Large Spot with RF Deus XC cranks, never made contact though. I wouldn't worry about it. There was another thread regarding this, seems common. I've never heard of anyone having the arm hit the stay though.

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
That clearance is no clearance at all. Those will hit at the worst times. My Atlas cranks were 175mm and had more clearance than that, but they hit and eventually gouged a channel on my chainstay. Put a BB spacer on the ND side and maybe go to 175 cranks?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.