Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is supposed to be "two small dots" on the cleat to differentiate them, but I don't see one. Maybe it was worn off. But you can tell the difference between the two.

In the picture you can see there is more of the very top 'tab' on the left one to the left of center and the right one to the right of center. Is there anyone that knows should the bias be on the same shoe or the opposite shoe for 15 degrees. (EX. the bias right on the right shoe or bias left on the right shoe)

sorry for the questions about this. Just having problems.

Attachments

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
It would help more if you could take a picture of your cleats on your shoes...I tried to get one for you yesterday of my shoes but could not manage to cut off the flash on my camera. Anyways the cleats you have pictured from the crankbrothers website should not be the cleats that came with your shoes.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huh... they look exactly like these.I took the metal plate off and looked on both sides, but didn't see the "circles". Are they under the plate or on the other side?

I appreciate your trying.

If you have them set up to 15degrees, is the bias on your right shoe to the left or right as you are looking at the bottom with the toe up?

Thank you a bunch for your help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
on the "premium" cleat (which is pictured) the dots are on the bottem of the cleat. In order to see them you need to remove them from your shoe. The "standard" cleat (all brass) the dots are on top so you can see them when installed. I believe the dots go on the left shoe for the 20deg setting. Check the CB web site to make sure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
On Crank Brothers the dot goes on the right shoe for 15 degree release and the left for 20 degree release. This is just the opposite of the Time ATAC cleats, which have a star that goes on the left shoe for 13 degree release and the right for 17 (on the old Times it was 15 and 20). I shaved my cleats so the release is the same either way. They have a picture of a shaved cleat on the Speedgoat website.

Smokey

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally called Crank Bros. They are not "dots" they are actually indentions, one top and one bottom from the screw holes. Easy to see if CB called them what they were.

Thanks for all the help.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
"There should be two circular indentations just below the "hook" on each cleat. If you have that cleat with the circles on your left shoe it would make it more difficult to unclip from your pedals because the release angle is greater."
yes that is what i originally said, indentations. Anyhow was the one with the indentations on the left shoe?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Smokey, sorry, just slow I guess. Yes they were on the right shoe.

Got some Shimanos PD 540s today and swapped them out. Bought the Smartys on Ebay for $20 so I wasn't out much. Anything has to be an improvement, but we will see. Riding early tomorrow.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
BoomingSooner said:
Hey Smokey, sorry, just slow I guess. Yes they were on the right shoe.

Got some Shimanos PD 540s today and swapped them out. Bought the Smartys on Ebay for $20 so I wasn't out much. Anything has to be an improvement, but we will see. Riding early tomorrow.
Well i guess since you picked them up off ebay that explains some things. I guess that the smartys are a little different than the mallets that i have bc mine seem almost too easy to unclip from. Anyways hope you like the shimanos i think their system should be easier to get in and out of...I used to have a pair and never had problems getting in or out and they also lasted for a while. let us know how you like em...and its fisherman

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.