Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
They look awesome, don't they? Are they still special order only?

To answer your question though, no, I haven't tried them.

·
Registered
372 Posts
special hub, special spokes, special rims, what isn´t special on those :D and i wonder how they will hold up if one spoke is missing, will the "pin" on the rims slide out becouse of the force from the spoke pulling in the other end or will the force on the rim be skew?

hope you understand my sometimes bad english :D

i´m a little sceptixal to those wheels, specialy considering that they arn´t so light considering the price

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was sceptical to until I thought about it more. They are only 20 grams heavier than the Cross max SLR and they are lighter than I nines unless you go with the ultra light set which some one at I9 told me is "disposable". You also have to factor in the weight of a rim strip for other wheels because I will never run tubes again. With all that in mind they are pretty light and without spoke holes in the rim it will be stiffer than most other rims. I used to break spokes quite frequently on traditional wheels but have never broken a straight pull spoke. That is why I will always run some sort of complete wheel over a custom.
I had narrowed my search to 2 brands I9 and Crank Brothers but the I9 all mountain set with a rim strip is to heavy and I don't like the idea of using rim strips anyway. The only other option was Fulcrum but I didn't realy like the look of them.
So I order my Cobalt set yesterday and if they are as good as I hope they will be I will be stocking at the store where I work.

·
Registered
372 Posts
the crossmax slr my friend had was absout 1590 grams without skewers, so the AM wheels frin I9 are absout 40-50 grams hevier, but then you talk about a AM wheel. weoght of a rimstrip? if you have notubes rim, you talk about 6 gram per wheel, that isn´t any weight to talk about :D and mavic slr, fulcrum and shimano xtr, has no spoke hole in the rims either.

but my question to you, what do you think will happend IF a spoke breaks on those cobalt wheels. will the pin that the spokes sits in on the rims losen up from the rim if the spoke on the other side breaks? wouldn´t there also be a big side force on the rim to if one spoke breaks becouse of thet the spokes are attach so long from the center of the rim? you also have to consider that for example a I9 wheel has 32 spokes, so if one breaks, it shouldn´t infect the wheel to mutch. but thats just my wonders about the cobalt wheels, they looks cool, but i´m alittle sceptical to the construction, specialy if somethings brakes when i´m out on a trip in the forest.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The SLR is 1520 g, I9 ultra light 1410 (without rim strip) Cobalt 1540g the mavic and Fulcrum wheels do have one of the 2 walls drilled where the Cobalt has neither wall drilled. I am not worried about the spokes because I have never broken any straight pull spoke (yet). I have SLR,s on my bike now and I will never go back to tubes and I don't like rim strips so I think I made the right choice. I will find out how durable they are soon. From my dealings with both companies Crank bothers stand behind their product much better than Mavic.

·
Registered
372 Posts
what is the benefit of not having any sidewall drilled? the cobolt wheels has insted side forces on the flendge that the spokes are fasten in, insted of pulling forces as on traditional system and as on straight full wheel system.

hehe, you have never broked one straigt pull spoke, but some day it can happend :D

the SLR i have weighted has nog´t been any 1520 grams,

maby crankbrother stands better behind there products then mavic, but i don´t know if i would say that mavic is the objective for th market. mavic is big and can do alittle as they whant, crankbrothers are not so big, and has to have very good service or they will go under.

but it will be intresting to se your wheels for sure, even if i´m not so convinced about the construction

·
Saving lives with knives.
959 Posts
The Crank Bros. have always had a penchant for unique designs: Sometimes it' some thing remarkably better than anything else (egg beaters) and sometimes it does the opposite (Cobalt Cranks--I haven't met one person without a failure). At least with the Crank Bros. you can rest assured that they will stand behind their product as they may have the best customer service in the industry. Let us know what you think when you get them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I rode these this weekend, what a difference from my stock bontrager rims ...I mounted a set of maxxis crossmark UTC tubless tires on them (was running the same tubed version though before). The bike accelerates and climbs like a dream now, and corners killer. Looks kewl to (click images for full size image):

·
*** Lechon Hauler ***
22 Posts
harshguy236 said:
I rode these this weekend, what a difference from my stock bontrager rims ...I mounted a set of maxxis crossmark UTC tubless tires on them (was running the same tubed version though before). The bike accelerates and climbs like a dream now, and corners killer. Looks kewl to (click images for full size image):

========================================================

May I ask where you purchased them?

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a pair, I just cant wait 8wks for I9s... maybe...

·
Registered
102 Posts
where are you guys getting these and what's the retail?

Are they like a fine bottle of wine -- if you have to ask you can't afford it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
kudude said:
where are you guys getting these and what's the retail?

Are they like a fine bottle of wine -- if you have to ask you can't afford it?
I think the MSRP is $1000 for the pair.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have to say that they look worse then that they looked on the pictures i saw before. but thats just a personal mather of taste. and 1000 dollars for those, nothing for me

·
Registered
39 Posts
SiNielito said:
harshguy236 said:

========================================================

May I ask where you purchased them?

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a pair, I just cant wait 8wks for I9s... maybe...
I got mine at Bycicles Plus in Folsom California (I'm on vacatoin in Cozumel right now, don't have number ...but you can google them).

1 - 20 of 221 Posts