Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:thumbsup:
Not sure which forum to put this in so here it is...
I have seen more then a few rants about poor customer service so I though it was only fair to share a good custumer service story.

I am in the middle of building a new bike for my gf and it is a small sized frame. Since this is her first "new" frame we ordered some new parts for it, including a Crank Brother Cobalt SL headset. While installing the front fork, I noticed that the control knobs of the Reba would hit the downtube when the bars were turned sharply. Truthfully I should have known better as I had the same problem with her last bike which was solved by ordering a taller fork race to provide more clearance. Anyway, I gave Crank Brothers a call to ask what the part number so I could order it from BTI and the guy tells me he will ship a taller race out today, no charge.

In the scheme of things this may not seem like a big deal but two things impressed me:
1. A live voice answered the call
2. Not sure how much the part and or shipping cost, but the CB guy solved my problem immediatly. The only question he asked was "where can I ship you the new part".

I have always admired the innovation of Crank Brothers products but never owned one until now. With this level of customer service I will definitly be buying more of their products.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Good to know that they have good service. I am thinking about a set of CB pedals this winter........

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
Good to hear an alternate take. I have the same experience with Race Face, a lot of people have had problems with them but I've had nothing but good CS from them.

·
Spooooon!
677 Posts
I had a bent Candy SL spindle and a set of Candys with rock smashed wings. The replaced the spindle at no charge and sent a whole new set of pedals at no charge to replace the Candys that were smashed up on the rocks. Perfect customer service - just call, sometimes they don't answer emails.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Same here...

I smashed a spring, totally my own fault, and contacted them to get info on replacement parts. They called it "warrantly" and took care of me at no charge.

I did it via email... with next day response.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was visiting my aunt in Santa Monica, and thought they were around there, so I looked up their address and drove an hour to Laguna Beach to what I thought would be like a factory store and stuff, but was just corporate offices. :(

I love their products though, I have egg beaters, good pedals, and their designs are just so cool and I love the anodized finishes they seem to put on everything.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Crank Brother Service is the best

I had a similar experience on two separate occasions with CB. The first time the I had one of the mini tools come apart because the end screw came loose. So instead tightening it properly it finally came apart in my saddle bag and I lost the screw. I emailed CB to buy a new screw and they just asked for my address and sent me a new one. Gratis.

The second time was just about 2 months ago. I had a pair of eggbeaters that were probably 4 years old. One of the wings snapped off when I clipped in. They had seen plenty of use and still had plenty of life left and I hated the idea of tossing the pedals. So I email CB and explained to them it broke and was beyond warranty and good I buy a replacement part. They sent me an return authorization and had me send them the pedal. The replaced the wings and checked the pedal out. The sent it back with a card stating what they did from the "Pedal Spa". Again for free.

I am a committed crank Brothers customer for the mini tools and pedals. I have about 6 or 7 sets of pedals eggbeaters, candies etc. I wouldn't think of using a different pedal setup. I am looking forward to trying their headsets and may if I can save up the coin the wheelsets.

They combine great design with world class customer service. An absolute rarity these days. I can't say enough about them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Crank Brothers #1 Customer Service

Same as some of the stories already told.....older candies....bad spindle after way to much abuse...contact them to buy the parts....they sent out part ....no charge....I have since bought 4 more sets of Crank Bros. pedals. Will have to check out the headsets and wheels in the future.

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
crank bros. provided excellent customer service to me as well. replaced the spindle on one pedal and rebuilt both pedals for free. did it quickly as well. though, the tech. put a snotty little note in there about *me* servicing the pedals in the future to prevent that type of failure again. the nerve! ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Reading this just reinforced my purchase of some new Candy SLs :thumbsup: It can be hard to find companies with this type of customer service now days.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I sent in a pair of Acids...striped threads on one of the spindles. Eight days after I droped them in the mail they showed up at my door. New spindles, bearings, etc. No charge and no questions asked. Nice to see service like that anywhere nowdays.

Mikey

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
yeah, Crank Bros rocks

I had a set of Candys with broken wings (by my smashing them on rocks). I sent the pedals to them on a Monday **regular mail**, and I had them back by Friday. Like new.

Other folks I know have had similar positive experiences.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,663 Posts
When you have products that fail as often as Crank Brothers, you got to have great customer service, else people would stop buying the products REAL fast. No other company has the market for disposable pedals and components cornered like CB.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
As someone who manages an LBS I think Crank Bros is one of if not the best manufacturer that I have ever dealt with. Other companies should use them as an example

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'll jump on the bandwagon.

Lost a retaining screw for my 50's and no shop had any around.
E-mailed the company asking to buy some, had a reply within 15min wanting my address and there was no charge. I was sent more than a lifetime of spares.
Great service and great product.
Jayem, sorry to hear you have not had a positive outcome.
Eric

·
Registered
455 Posts
Jayem said:
When you have products that fail as often as Crank Brothers, you got to have great customer service, else people would stop buying the products REAL fast. No other company has the market for disposable pedals and components cornered like CB.
I ride rocky trails with lots of pedal hits. Went through two pair of SPDs in less than 4 months...one pair lasted one day...pretty disposible if you ask me. There may be better pedals out there (I've only used SPDs and now CBs...been looking hard at the Time pedals) but as of right now, I'm real happy with my CB Acids. And thrilled with CB service.

Any recommendations on a pedal that will never fail?

Mikey

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,663 Posts
MikeyLikesIt said:
I ride rocky trails with lots of pedal hits. Went through two pair of SPDs in less than 4 months...one pair lasted one day...pretty disposible if you ask me. There may be better pedals out there (I've only used SPDs and now CBs...been looking hard at the Time pedals) but as of right now, I'm real happy with my CB Acids. And thrilled with CB service.

Any recommendations on a pedal that will never fail?

Mikey
not these ones;

Realistically, my shimano pedals (m545s, 520s, 647s, etc) hold up to hits far better than the CBs. I had two axle failures, two body-failures, 1 bearing failure, problems with them comming loose, play, and all sorts of other problems with the CBs. I even used their "great customer service". Then I had to use it again. Then I broke the pedals again. Eventually I got tired. On the same terrain, taking the same hits, the shimano's just hold up far better for me, but apart from me, you can go scroll through the forums and see how many people have to use that "great customer service", it's quite a few, the cobalt cranks that they were making for a little while tended to split down the middle, and there are more than a few people that have had problems installing their new headset. You realize they produce their stuff off-shore (contracted it out) right? It's not a company that I hold in high regard for design. All of the CB stuff seems to have a "hook" or feature that is not found elswhere, but they seem to be woefully underdesigned in all other areas. Just look at the eggbeater mechanism itself. Great if you want to save weight and have the absolute lightest pedal, but the bearing+bushing is a recipe for disaster due to how it's arranged, and the pedal requires a certain amount of foot-rotation to let go of your foot. Fine for some situations, but real bad in others where you physically can not rotate your foot, but you need to get out. This is why other pedals use spring-tension for release and not just rotation. If you pull hard enough with other pedals you can get them to relase in ways other than just rotating the heel outward (rotating the heel inward doesn't seem to ever work on the CBs, but it's sometimes a necessity). I could go on and on about the lack of adjustments, mechanism that sticks out (and sometimes clips rocks), and so on, but if you look around at the reviews and posts, you can read between the lines and figure out that they don't really hold up. They may hold up for some people in some conditions, but they are not to the level of Time and Shimano.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Jayem said:
but the bearing+bushing is a recipe for disaster due to how it's arranged, and the pedal requires a certain amount of foot-rotation to let go of your foot. Fine for some situations, but real bad in others where you physically can not rotate your foot, but you need to get out. This is why other pedals use spring-tension for release and not just rotation. If you pull hard enough with other pedals you can get them to relase in ways other than just rotating the heel outward (rotating the heel inward doesn't seem to ever work on the CBs, but it's sometimes a necessity). I could go on and on about the lack of adjustments, mechanism that sticks out (and sometimes clips rocks), and so on, but if you look around at the reviews and posts, you can read between the lines and figure out that they don't really hold up. They may hold up for some people in some conditions, but they are not to the level of Time and Shimano.
How is it a recipe for disaster? I love my eggbeaters, I can get out easily whenever I want, but stay clipped in when I don't want to unclip...that seems like how a pedal should work. Rotating inward does indeed work, in the rare event that I fall while riding (I fall plenty, just somehow it seems to be when I'm standing still not paying attention...:D ) I can turn my heel in towards the center of the bike and it un-clips.

Sucks that you've had a bad experience with them, but I love mine. Almost a year on them now.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Jayem said:
not these ones;

Realistically, my shimano pedals (m545s, 520s, 647s, etc) hold up to hits far better than the CBs. I had two axle failures, two body-failures, 1 bearing failure, problems with them comming loose, play, and all sorts of other problems with the CBs. I even used their "great customer service". Then I had to use it again. Then I broke the pedals again. Eventually I got tired. On the same terrain, taking the same hits, the shimano's just hold up far better for me, but apart from me, you can go scroll through the forums and see how many people have to use that "great customer service", it's quite a few, the cobalt cranks that they were making for a little while tended to split down the middle, and there are more than a few people that have had problems installing their new headset. You realize they produce their stuff off-shore (contracted it out) right? It's not a company that I hold in high regard for design. All of the CB stuff seems to have a "hook" or feature that is not found elswhere, but they seem to be woefully underdesigned in all other areas. Just look at the eggbeater mechanism itself. Great if you want to save weight and have the absolute lightest pedal, but the bearing+bushing is a recipe for disaster due to how it's arranged, and the pedal requires a certain amount of foot-rotation to let go of your foot. Fine for some situations, but real bad in others where you physically can not rotate your foot, but you need to get out. This is why other pedals use spring-tension for release and not just rotation. If you pull hard enough with other pedals you can get them to relase in ways other than just rotating the heel outward (rotating the heel inward doesn't seem to ever work on the CBs, but it's sometimes a necessity). I could go on and on about the lack of adjustments, mechanism that sticks out (and sometimes clips rocks), and so on, but if you look around at the reviews and posts, you can read between the lines and figure out that they don't really hold up. They may hold up for some people in some conditions, but they are not to the level of Time and Shimano.
Thanks for the explaination, Jayem. All I can say is that your experience and mine have been very different. My Acids have held up to a thrashing far better than my SPDs ever have (they are not the top of the line BTW...but neither are my Acids) I also like the release of the CBs better but thats just a personal preference. If I ever become disgruntled with CB I will not go back to Shimano...maybe Time since they seem to get great reviews. As far as the 'off shore' thing, I thought everyone did that...Isn't Shimano and Time offshore?

Anyway, as the OP said, CB has great service.
Mikey

·
Viva Las Peli Taco
251 Posts
I will pass on everything but the egg beaters. I had bought the Cobalt SL crankset, Ti ISIS bb, Pack Pump, and Bike Multi tool and all have been a disappointment. Granted the company repaired or warrenty replaced the items but come on I've had 100% failure rates on all the items in less than a year from purchase, and that's with light duty xc use...

Not a happy camper...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts