Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
48,161 Posts
DMR For Life said:
why would u clad an aluminum crank with stainless...thats just pointless....ano it and your good to go...rather than adding weight by using stainless...doesn't sound too bright to me
DMR
Making a comment like that without knowing the construction method is well...

The Cobalt crankarms mate a stainless steel cap to an aluminum base in a process dubbed "coldfusion". This produces a hollow crankarm that is lightweight yet super rigid.

· Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
Hey shiggy
sorry u took my reply wrong...still seems abit weird to me (i'm just finishing up a course on metalugy...i'm taking aircraft maintenance)
what don't understand..is..stainless steel + aliminum = cobalt...wait thats not right...i'm missing something here...from what i'm reading here this is a 7005 al arm with a stainless cap over top....no cobalt in this arm...not really a hollow crank just one with most of the extra al machined out see here coldfusion is just a marketing ploy from what i can see
really this seems to be a bit of a gimick that stainless cover adds next to zero strength to the arm, and for that matter not that much lighter than some of the comparable cranks
DMR

· Registered
264 Posts
going by the gallery pics, then it does look like its done for looks rather than strength.

but so is any coloured anodising? and coloured paint and stuff. perhaps its just more of a scuff protector to protect against any damage to the rims of the main arm. if they did suffer damage / rubbing it would be possible for the crank to quickly lose strength.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.