Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Pisgah-Pale-Alien
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running Egg Beaters since almost their inception back in the late 90's and have never had an issue. But wanting to pay heed to a my peers advice I concider their warnings and experience. That although you have the advantage of clicking into all four sides, it is all facilitated by just one spring and if it should break you're left stranded. So I'd like to pose this question to a larger audience, have many of you experienced Crank Bros spring failure?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I've been running Egg Beaters since almost their inception back in the late 90's and have never had an issue. But wanting to pay heed to a my peers advice I concider their warnings and experience. That although you have the advantage of clicking into all four sides, it is all facilitated by just one spring and if it should break you're left stranded. So I'd like to pose this question to a larger audience, have many of you experienced Crank Bros spring failure?
I have been using CB pedals as long as you, as have many of my riding buddies. I have never had a spring break or even seen one fail.

Have had a few other issues. Not enough to switch brands.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I've also been running eggbeaters for a while now (not quite since the late 90's though). I haven't had any problems worth mentioning that couldn't have been avoided by me. Overall I have been very impressed with what they have put out.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I've had some bushing/bearing issues but I've hit some rocks pretty hard with the CB pedals which caused my foot to release but didn't dent or break the springs.
I've heard of the wings breaking but never the springs. I've also hit the pedals pretty hard and cringed every time but have never broken a wing.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have broken two "wings", there is no way you can break the spring on the axle. You can still clip in on the opposite side of the pedal. I think the newest pedals have beefed up wings and I haven't broken my newer candys.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I broke a spring...

On a pair of 4Ti's a couple of years ago. Sent the pair back to CB and they fixed them. I''ve been using eggs exclusively for about 10 years on my MTBs, and had the usual wear problems, as well as a couple bent/broken spindles. No big deal. I'm basically happy with the design, it being light, simple and offering easy entry/exit. That said, I snagged a pedal on a rock going thru a "weave pole" section a few weeks ago and did a Superman launch over the bars. I crashed hard and broke my collar bone for the umpteenth time. While reflecting on that incident, it occurred to me that all or most of my serious crashes/injuries over the years could be directly linked to the eggbeater pedals. I came up with the theory that the 2 open wings sticking down are too vulnerable to snags. Imagine the arresting hook on a carrier based airplane. I think that's what happens with the eggbeater pedal. So, as much as I like the weight savings and ease of use, I recently switched to ATACs to give them a try. Only time will tell if my theory proves correct, but so far I'm liking them. Now what to do about all my shoes and boots with CB cleats...

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
Actually CrankBros did experience some issues with the SL line (blue anodized spring) pedals.

I personally broke 2 springs in the course of 3 months. This was in 2009. The first set were OEM on a cross bike. Having used eggbeaters since the late 90's, I assumed it was a fluke and simply purchased a new set of pedals. That new set, (also a SL model with the blue springs) broke after about 2 weeks. I took them back to the LBS to check on warranty.

Crank Brothers ended up replacing the springs (not the whole pedals) with a silver spring. The guy behind the desk at Summit Bikes in Los Gatos advised he'd been told by Crank Bros. that there were some issues with the blue springs and breakage.

Anyway, I'd not worry about their durability. Again I've used them trouble free for over 10 years save for what was probably only a limited batch issue with some springs.

I'll buy 'em again when these wear out.

BTW...speaking of wearing out...I've got a late 90's pair in use now. (I have eggbeaters on 3 dfifferent bikes) The 'wings' are getting noticeably worn from all the cleat engagements. Prolly time to retire to be safe.

Cheers!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I stand corrected about the springs.I guess there is no part of an eggbeater that won't break.

Unrelated, but... I like the blue springs, they are nice and soft. I changed red springs in my mallets for them so I could click out a little quicker.

·
rebmem rbtm
417 Posts
Ok, today I broke the spring of my 2006 Mallet C´s. It´s a blue one, so i guess that confirms cmdrpiffle´s post. I could send it to CB but i´m, in Uruguay and there isn´t a CB dealer here, so i think i´ll go to a spring factory and have one or two made for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.