Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
cannondale rider
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about try a set of Crank Bros. pedals and I'm a little confused. I want something inexpensive to tryout. I am looking at the Candy, Smarty and Eggbeaters. I've heard from some friends that their feet sometimes slip getting clipped into the eggbeaters. I also looked at weight a little bit, and it seems that in the entry price range, the Smartys (which are the cheapest) are also the lightest? What is the difference between the Smarty and Candy pedals? They look very similar too me. Does anyone recomend one over the others?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
rshank3499 said:
I am thinking about try a set of Crank Bros. pedals and I'm a little confused. I want something inexpensive to tryout. I am looking at the Candy, Smarty and Eggbeaters. I've heard from some friends that their feet sometimes slip getting clipped into the eggbeaters. I also looked at weight a little bit, and it seems that in the entry price range, the Smartys (which are the cheapest) are also the lightest? What is the difference between the Smarty and Candy pedals? They look very similar too me. Does anyone recomend one over the others?
The Candy is rebuildable, the Smarty is not. The Smarty is the entry-level model and may not work as well or as long as the higher end models.

Your feet are going to slip once in a while on any pedal. IMO the Candy is little better than the Eggbeater in that regard. I tend to prefer the Acid.

·
knock-knock...
577 Posts
shiggy said:
The Candy is rebuildable, the Smarty is not. The Smarty is the entry-level model and may not work as well or as long as the higher end models.
very true. I got a pair of smartys for a heck of a deal, but within a month and a half, there was too much play in the bearings to use them. (the pedal acts like it is not attached to the spindle, and twists side to side)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a pair of entry level eggbeaters and entry level candy pedals, and I have noticed a small difference in the ease of entry into the candy pedals because of the small platform. That said, I like the eggbeaters more because of weight and ease of cleaning. Also, I think simple is better with parts that get muddy. Good luck!

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
I like the eggbeaters, as well. I find that they are actually a little easier to get into than my Mallet 1s, with the platform. Though neither are difficult to get in or out of. For offroad riding you may want something with a small cage around it, though. This way, if you hit something, you are not making contact with the clip mechanism.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've got the Candy pedals on both my road and mtn bike. I slipped while trying to clip in on a wet day and actually broke the carbon seat post on my road bike.

That being said, I do like having the extra platform on the pedal on both bikes for different reasons. On the road bike it helps spread pressure around the foot which helps during long rides. On the Mtn bike, it's nice to have the extra platform when I get to a tricky section and want my foot available without having to clip out.

·
GONE
26,874 Posts
I rode platformed clipless pedals for a few years until I really got the feel for my bike and what I was riding over with it.

Last year, I tried Eggbeaters and I really like the freedom they supply. I don't think Eggbeaters would be a good choice for a beginner, though.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
I have mallets on my mountain bikes and acids on my road bike.

I've used "naked" egg beaters on demo bikes and haven't really had a problem though, when the going gets tough, it's nice to have a platform to stomp on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.