Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im picking up my seat post tonight a Crank Bros Joplin w/remote...
Has anyone routed the remote on a 2008 RIP 9 XL frame?
Ive also heard some noise about the seat mounting that may be an issue...any inputs?

I have Sram X.0 twist shifters, Formula brakes, and Niner flat top bar, WTB Rocket V seat
Im trying to keep it clean looking and snag free.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I ran my remote cable along the existing rear brake cable holders, held in place with small zip ties.

It worked fine for me.

R.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input.
Dont you have a 07 RIP?
I believe the 07 cables are routed on the top tube where as the 08 cables are routed on the down tube.

Have you had any issues with the seat mounting? I like to position the seat as far back as possible.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Hmmm. correct, I forgot about the different routing of the cables.

Saddle positioning was never a problem for me with my Maverick post.

R.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Stick on cable guides, paint with the supplied Niner touch up paint should do you just fine :thumbsup:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rainman do you have any pictures of the cable routing that you did around/over/under the bars?
Any inputs for lever position? Why you like it one way or the other....
Did you have any considerations for cable length also...
I want to get it right the first time out.
I couldnt install it this weekend...I had to go to PHX for the weekend.
Im planning on installing it tonight.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
pcupach said:
Why would you say it was a crutch?
In the same way bicycles are a crutch for those without enough talent to ride a unicycle, or saddles are a crutch for those without legs to stand for the whole ride.

My Speedball with the little remote thingie is a hella fun crutch on my RIP9.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I ran my remote lever on the left side of the bar after trying it both sides. I positioned it so I could operate it with my left thumb.

I never cut the cable, I used it as it came and it was the correct length for the RIP frame.

With the new routing on the current RIP 9's, it will be different for you. You will probably run it down the same path as the rear derailleur to the seat tube, then up to the Joplin.

My cable routing was along the top tube.

I will probably buy a Joplin myself soon, as I sold the Maverick after I finished testing it.

I find that on the steep techy sections or down steep drop-offs, i really miss the ability to get the saddle right out of the way

R.

pcupach said:
Rainman do you have any pictures of the cable routing that you did around/over/under the bars?
Any inputs for lever position? Why you like it one way or the other....
Did you have any considerations for cable length also...
I want to get it right the first time out.
I couldnt install it this weekend...I had to go to PHX for the weekend.
Im planning on installing it tonight.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Note to self...Do not start working on the bike as soon as I get home after a 12 hour day and especcialy when Im talking on the cell....

I can see the tress but where the hell is that forest?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I think the routing is easy on the 07

Here are some pic's of the routing on my 07 large. I copied someone else's cable tie clamp with an extra loop that lets the cable move easily. It is a dirt catcher but otherwise works well.

Attachments

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
I'm slightly jealous of you 07 guys! I've got a Gravity Dropper on my 08 and finding a good route was tricky. I ended up having to run zip ties around the top tube in a couple places, then little loops to cinch the housing to the body.

p.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had to route them across the TT. I have some cable guides coming in to clean up the zip ties mess.
I will post a few pictures of the spiderweb when I get the guides.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Cable Guides

Paul, check out the pic of my RIP using stick on cable guides to run the cables on the DT, you can use them on the '08 to run that cable on the TT and the touch up paint sticks great :thumbsup: I got the idea after seeing Larry from Mtn High use them on one of his bikes and he's who I got them from.

Paul B said:
I'm slightly jealous of you 07 guys! I've got a Gravity Dropper on my 08 and finding a good route was tricky. I ended up having to run zip ties around the top tube in a couple places, then little loops to cinch the housing to the body.

p.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts