Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying some Eggbeaters, but I've heard some people don't feel very secure in them. For example I hear their release isn't very sharp so you might slip out of them and not know it.

Anyway, I have a friend with Candy pedals which I could borrow and try out. Will they feel the same, more or less, as far as release tension and what not, are concerned?

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Don't know what you're talking about ...

FishMan473 said:
I'm considering buying some Eggbeaters, but I've heard some people don't feel very secure in them. For example I hear their release isn't very sharp so you might slip out of them and not know it.

Anyway, I have a friend with Candy pedals which I could borrow and try out. Will they feel the same, more or less, as far as release tension and what not, are concerned?
Eggbeaters feel VERY secure.

There is an issue where if you bang the underside of the pedal against a rock, they may release. That's about it.

The release tension is CONSTANT. There is no screw to hold you in. The reason is that they're designed a bit like a Chinese finger trap. The harder you pull against the spring mechanism, the more force it grabs you with.

Personally, I think the candies are too small of a platform to be effective. Try bare egg-beaters or the mallets.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts