Elitest thrill junkie
37,983 Posts
Awesome, more weak CB products.

Attachments

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,983 Posts
PCinSC said:
:eek: Oh, snap (pun intendend :p ). I guess I'm not gonna be able to depend on Mallets to support my lard ass.
Just don't try pedaling uphill. It's simply murder on em. :thumbsup:

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Jayem said:
Just don't try pedaling uphill. It's simply murder on em. :thumbsup:
Hey JM, same thing happened to Bikezilla and his Mallets in Moab last October!

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
El Chingon said:
Hey JM, same thing happened to Bikezilla and his Mallets in Moab last October!
...same thing happened to me last week. Fortunately they sent out a rebuild kit ASAP. It did bugger the insides a bit when it went tho...:nono:

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you out some oil (White Lighting Epic is what I use) at the edge of the eggbeater on both sides and on the spring this will stop this from happening!

These break in this area through lack of service and maintenance Ive done the same and since Ive been trying this seems all good. any metal not looked after will degrade and break at the stress point id not looked after.

Let the flame begin:madmax::thumbsup:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,983 Posts
trailadvent said:
If you out some oil (White Lighting Epic is what I use) at the edge of the eggbeater on both sides and on the spring this will stop this from happening!

These break in this area through lack of service and maintenance Ive done the same and since Ive been trying this seems all good. any metal not looked after will degrade and break at the stress point id not looked after.

Let the flame begin:madmax::thumbsup:
Exactly what kind of maintenance does solid metal need?

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
There's a new model of crank bros pedal out that suffers from none of these problems.

It's caled TIME

·
long standing member
3,098 Posts
kidwoo said:
There's a new model of crank bros pedal out that suffers from none of these problems.

It's caled TIME
OT, but since you brought it up, what do you guys think of the Time Z platform pedals? Similar to the Mallet/Acid, but without the eggbeater-type mechanism (obviously). Any thoughts?

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exactly what kind of maintenance does solid metal need?
How much maintence does your chain need metal on metal?

I probably do mine after a very wet ride or if using exessive water when cleaning, its a drop of oil a few months Id do it no matter what the pedals.

For me I like CBs cause I can rebuild them pull them aprt simplyand replace the bearing and its cheap, Ive had my mallet ms for over 2yers broken one spindle in the same place, and I asked them diagnose why they said drop of oil now and agin and you'll bve problem free.

I ride hard and 200lbs of Kiwi beef.

Plus my knees are far more important than the cost of a pedal which causes legiment problems.

Hay everyone to there own!

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
PCinSC said:
OT, but since you brought it up, what do you guys think of the Time Z platform pedals? Similar to the Mallet/Acid, but without the eggbeater-type mechanism (obviously). Any thoughts?
I said it because two of my bikes, the two that get the sh1t beat out of them the most both have them on right now.

The only issue I've ever had is a bent spindle or two. Bout a $12 fix.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,983 Posts
trailadvent said:
How much maintence does your chain need metal on metal
A chain is not solid metal. A chain has pivots and moves. The spindle does not move, it's solid metal, and the pedal body rotates around it on the bearings. Do you put oil on your bike's top tube? How about on your handlebar?

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Yes!

kidwoo said:

It's caled TIME
I've been through 3 CB Cand'ys each lasted about 3 months. So I bought Times, and I don't even have to think about my pedals any more. Nice!

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Well, CRAP! Guess I will have to keep my trusty, but very heavy, Shimano 646's a little longer.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
3 years on cb's, 5 pair, no issues. 2 eb sl's, 1 candy sl. 1 eb twin ti, 1 mallet m but im a lighter guy who doesnt slam the bike around too much off big drops. maybe its just a weight vs impact thing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts