Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:madman: I am building a commuter for my 5'4" daughter. I found a straight aluminum MTB bike, have no idea what the frame is (Bad repaint) and I am stripping it to give it a nice couple of coats. It has an OK Alvio Triple, but the crankarm on the left/non-drive side has stripped pedal threads. It is a 170 mm Shimano FC-MC10. Can I just use any 170mm arm? Should I replace both sides? She'll never notice..............

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
The crank arm must match the BB spindle. You might get lucky and find one used arm to fit at a bike shop. Alivio has been around a long time and used both square taper and octa-link BB (splined). Determine which BB type and call around.

The cranks are sold new as full sets with new rings now days. Example:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CR307A02-Shimano+Alivio+Fc-M410+Compact+Crank+Set.aspx

Edit: I should add that if you use a new crankset the chain may be too worn to pedal without skipping and be unridable. Then if you get a new chain, you'll need a new cassette too to avoid skipping in those gears. So if it skips you could put your old rings on the new cranks to get it rolling for a while and replace the chain and cassette later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.