Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that hopefully doesn't sound too dumb, as I'm kind of a newb to working on my bike.

I'm replacing the worn out drivetrain and bottom bracket on my 09 Rockhopper Comp. Full specs of bike: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=38430 Cheap bike I know, but it gets me on the trail.

I bought some tools to do everything, and I've just replaced the rear cassette tonight. However, I was unable to get the crank arms off to replace the chainring and bottom bracket.

Here is the tool that I bought for the crank arm removal:

Amazon.com: Park Tool Compact Crank Puller: Sports & Outdoors

It seems as though I cannot screw the large nut part of it into the crank arm, it is as if the tool is just a hair too big to thread into the crank arm. I'm not sure if perhaps I'm doing something incorrectly, or if I bought the wrong tool, or what. If someone could perhaps describe removing the crank arm, it might help me determine if I'm just missing something. Otherwise I'll have to figure out just what kind of a tool I need and order it.

Thanks for any help or insight!

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I have a question that hopefully doesn't sound too dumb, as I'm kind of a newb to working on my bike.

I'm replacing the worn out drivetrain and bottom bracket on my 09 Rockhopper Comp. Full specs of bike: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=38430 Cheap bike I know, but it gets me on the trail.

I bought some tools to do everything, and I've just replaced the rear cassette tonight. However, I was unable to get the crank arms off to replace the chainring and bottom bracket.

Here is the tool that I bought for the crank arm removal:

Amazon.com: Park Tool Compact Crank Puller: Sports & Outdoors

It seems as though I cannot screw the large nut part of it into the crank arm, it is as if the tool is just a hair too big to thread into the crank arm. I'm not sure if perhaps I'm doing something incorrectly, or if I bought the wrong tool, or what. If someone could perhaps describe removing the crank arm, it might help me determine if I'm just missing something. Otherwise I'll have to figure out just what kind of a tool I need and order it.

Thanks for any help or insight!
Okay, to start with the threads in the crank arm are quite fine. So you need to be careful and patient when threading in the puller. First thing to do is make sure that you've pulled the washers from inside the bolt holes, they're there to protect the crank arm splines from the bolt. If you accidentally leave them in, you'll kill the crank trying to pull it. Next apply a very thin film of grease to the puller threads and make sure the threads in the crank arm are clean. From there back the smaller shaft out of the puller as far as it will go. Next carefully thread the puller into the crank arm until it is firmly seated. Check that it is fully seated with an open end or crescent wrench, don't go beastly on it, just make sure it's firmly seated. From there start cranking the smaller bolt in. It will get pretty tight and require a little muscle to start the crank arm coming off of the spindle. But it shouldn't be hugely difficult. Once the crank arm is loose pull it off and pull the tool. You might need to use a wrench to get the tool out of the arm as it'll get rather snug due to the pull, but you should be good to go from there.

If that doesn't work or you run into problems and can't seem to pull the crank STOP! Take it to a shop and have them look it over to see what's going on.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice. Sounds like I was attempting to go about things correctly. I spent an hour trying to gently get the tool threaded into the crank arm without success. I stopped when I started getting the temptation to thread it in using an impact.:)

A couple of weeks ago, I brought it into the bike shop where I bought it for them to verify that the bottom bracket was indeed bad, and the guy there didn't seem to have any trouble getting the crank arms off. This is the only other time I can think of that the crank arms have been removed.

I'll try to see if a friend of mine who knows a bit more about bikes can help me, if he does not have time, I'll simply bring it to the shop. This is slightly frustrating, since I ordered a fair amount of tools (including the crank puller and bottom bracket tool) so I could avoid going to the shop and do it myself.

·
Frequent Crasher
515 Posts
It is possible you have the wrong size puller. I know that I have a puller for Octalink and Square taper cranks, and I have a separate one from Park that is just a tiny bit too big, works on my ISIS BB stuff.. I would go double check that the puller you have is the right size.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I brought the bike over to a friend's house tonight so he could help me out.

I guess the threads weren't in such great shape on my crank arms. He just took my tool and gave it a few taps with a hammer while turning it to get it started, then threaded it in. This effectively chased the threads, as now the tool can easily be screwed in and out of the crank arms. I just wasn't brave enough to do this sort of thing myself since I haven't replaced a bottom bracket before, and everything I read stressed not forcing things in.

Evidently one of the washers for the crank arm bolts got misplaced. Is this necessary? The bike seems to work fine without it, but I don't want to wear anything out prematurely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.