Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Giant Reign X-1, it came stock with 170mm cranks. Frame size is a large and has 6.7" of travel, I'm running 30% sag. Does anyone with X-1 have 170's? Has anyone put 175mm cranks on a Reign X-1 or anyother bike with 6.7" of travel and 30% sag? I'm worried about hitting my peddals on rocks even more!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am surprised a large framed bike came with 170mm cranks, those are normally reserved for small and extra small bikes or much less expensive bikes. The standard length crank, from what I know, is 175mm. I just spent 2 1/2 months riding 170mm cranks and I hated it, on a hardtail of course. I prefer 175s but I also don't have a long travel bike. It is a matter of personal preference though.

·
Scuffed
174 Posts
My small X1 came with RaceFace Ride DH 175mm cranks and I swapped out to Shim Hone 175mm. And yeah, I do hit the pedals quite often.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
There's more to consider than just BB height and ground clearance. I'm 6' tall and use 170mm cranks on a large Nomad. My inseam size is only 32"...long torso...and the 170's fit me well. It depends a good deal on your personal physiology and pedaling power characteristics. The Nomad is similar to your X1. I did have a lot more pedal smacking with the original 175mm cranks. There are lots of variables to this question, and you really won't know how much of an impact, negative or positive, you'll get until you try it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.