Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gnarbar
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of running 165mm to avoid rock bashes but I do ride it for some AM stuff - approx 10--20 % of all riding.

My climbing style is sit for a while and pedal, get tired, then up off the seat, work up a sweat then push the rest of the way :p

Worth running 165mm, or 170 ? I'm thinking 165 based on that info.

Thoughts much appreciated.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
I initially tried 175mm. Pedal strikes everywhere. Then I tried 165mm on mine. Much better and easier to pedal out of turns, etc. But I couldn't climb with it. So went back to 175mm, and learn to live with pedal strikes, and be careful around rock gardens.

I do have a full DH bike, so I tend to use my SS mainly for AM. If I were to use it for primarily for DH, I would definitely go with 165mm. I guess you got to figure out what is important to you. Because it is not good for everything.

·
WWW.PEDALTHEPEAKS.BIZ
112 Posts
I ran 165mm cranks on my small SS I had it set up with a dual ring e-13 guide and a single ring guide depending on what i was using it for. I liked the 165 no problem with hitting pedals. Never rode more than a 20 mile ride so for long rides you may want 170mm cranks for more AM riding.

·
Gnarbar
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks peeps, I think for the amount of AM riding I do 165mm will be fine. It's a fair trade off for the benefits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.