Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Will any 4 bolt chain ring be compatible with any 4 bolt crankset? :

Hope someone can answer this for my friend who is racing around tonight trying to find a replacement middle chain ring to install on his Bontrager crankset. The bike is an '02 Trek Fuel 90. The only chain ring he could find on short notice was a Race Face. Same bolt pattern and tooth count. Will it be compatible?

We've replaced single chain rings before but always with the same brand. In the meantime I'll be hitting the Bontrager and Race Face product sites trying to find an answer..

Thanks!
Lori

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
It might not shift quite the same, but it will work. I've got a crank or two with mixes of Shimano and RaceFace, no complaints.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
It might not shift quite the same, but it will work. I've got a crank or two with mixes of Shimano and RaceFace, no complaints.
Thanks BFFL. That's what I was hoping to hear. We'll be doing the installation at the campsite or hotel room. My husband will install the ring and I'll tune the shifting. We're quite the team! Hope it shifts good enough to enjoy a weekend of riding new trails.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
On review I thought you had mentioned same bolt circle diameter (bcd) being involved, but I see that it wasn't. That is key, as not all four arm systems are the same; older XTR for example are 112/68 instead of the more standard 110/64 now used...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
On review I thought you had mentioned same bolt circle diameter (bcd) being involved, but I see that it wasn't. That is key, as not all four arm systems are the same; older XTR for example are 112/68 instead of the more standard 110/64 now used...
Thanks for the clarification. I haven't seen the parts he picked up yet so I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.