Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I get a muscle cramp while riding, I stretch it out so I can keep going. But after the ride, or any other time, if I get a muscle cramp I just let it do its thing and try to last out the pain as long as possible. Anyone else do this, or am I just a sick freak? I have no idea if this is good or bad, but I figure if I let the muscle sit there and spasm for a minute or two, maybe it'll be better in the long run. It's a bit of a mental challenge sometimes ... me vs the cramp, who will give in first?

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Cramps and spasms are your body's way of telling you to stop what you're doing.

My advice is to listen to your body when it speaks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeh, I read the other threads about cause and prevention of cramps. But in the end, I still get them sometimes. So I was more wondering if anyone else just lets them work out on their own, rather than stretching them out. And whether that is bad or good.

·
Registered
341 Posts
my muscle cramps were ignored...

So, if you cramp up during a race, then what?

Yesterday both of my calves cramped up around 2/3 of the way into the duathlon I was in. I did a quick stretch while riding, then again when transitioning back to running. They cramped up REAL HARD when I had to hop off the bike and push it through the sand.

Stopping what I was doing was not an option, even though my body had been telling me for 20 minutes or so "STOP" this nonsense! I'm guessing the only thing I must now do is train harder and keep the hydration matters in order.

If anyone has any further hints, please pass them on!!!

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I think the Na/K balance is important.

I read in MTB action mag,

Most of us have too much Na in our diet, but when exercising, the muscles can require a spike of Na to keep going, (They went on about salt tabs, and other things).

Anyway, I am trying to lower the Na and increase the K in my diet (juice fruits, and put away the salt shaker).

Then add the Na when going really hard race, epic etc.

·
Registered
341 Posts
48 hours later (almost) and where the cramps set in I'm still sore. I was on the treadmill last night and I've been stretching them and drinking plenty of fluids. I think I just need to get these inner calves in better shape - better prepared for what I'm going to require of them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.