Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
If you don't....

Someone else will. My guess is that if it's real, it's already gone. My concern is that she claims she doesn't know anything about bikes, yet she knows what a derailleur and a crank is. If she's truly ignorant as to what bikes are, the components would probably be listed as "front sprocket/pedals" for the cranks, and "shifter and gear changer" for the shifter and derailleur. I'd be careful with this one. The other fishy thing is that nobody who owns such a bike would leave it behind, IMO.

Bob

·
Registered
138 Posts
I actually saw that

Seems fishy though didnt' see it on Bikeportland.org's stolen bike list back through April.
Her" use of the term compenents rather than parts suggests she's familiar with bikes.
Plus, who leaves behind a friggin bullit. Then again, maybe its just an older bike or someone legitimatelyunfamilar with mountain bikes. Or maybe she's trolling for a date.;)

Hate on me or not, If there's someone obviously overcharging on craiglist (2-3 year old bike for more than the same model new from an LBS, I'll put up a post so an unwilling buyer doens't get hosed. Though I'm pretty sure there's no logical distinction, my ethics don't apply the same rationale when its the seller is unwittingly selling something way too cheaply.

May be worth checking out the bike. Run away if you see lots of empty drano bottles and sudafed packs laying around. Oh, and make sure she's not a dude.

Let us know how you make out if you follow up.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,425 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Someone else will. My guess is that if it's real, it's already gone. My concern is that she claims she doesn't know anything about bikes, yet she knows what a derailleur and a crank is. If she's truly ignorant as to what bikes are, the components would probably be listed as "front sprocket/pedals" for the cranks, and "shifter and gear changer" for the shifter and derailleur. I'd be careful with this one. The other fishy thing is that nobody who owns such a bike would leave it behind, IMO.

Bob
Man you nailed it. She knows what a derailluer is and actually spells it correctly. Sounds fishy.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Kind of hard to say. My wife would use the word component and knows what cranks and derailleurs are; yet she would probably tell you she doesn't know much about bikes. She knows that kind of stuff from riding and being around my friends and me, but based on some of the stuff I talk about she probably feels like she doesn't really know very much.

That said, she would know enough to get more than $350 dollars for that bike. It is too hard to tell from an add like this if the seller is legit. Maybe she picked up the terms and never paid any attention to the price. Maybe someone else helped her out with the add. Maybe it was such an ugly split that the boyfriend decided to write the bike off as a loss. Maybe the boyfriend got into dope or something and just decided he didn't care so he told her to sell it. The what ifs are endless.

If I could see it and at least try to confirm that it wasn't stolen, I would buy it. I wouldn’t mail her any money though.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Assuming the story is true, does she own the bike? What if her boyfriend decides he wants it and complains to the cops that she sold his property? The buyer might wind up with no money and no bike.

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
5 bucks says she says her boyfrind found out and kept the bike and money planning on the fact that you cant go to the cops cause you were knowingly trying to buy something that wasnt the persons to sell.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Krause said:
5 bucks says she says her boyfrind found out and kept the bike and money planning on the fact that you cant go to the cops cause you were knowingly trying to buy something that wasnt the persons to sell.

Bingo.....

·
Thank YOU, Chuck Norris!
108 Posts
Is it stolen?

It may or may not be stolen - the buyer just needs to believe that she IS telling the truth (for the most part, anyways - gray areas need not apply) - after all, if it is not on the stolen bikes list, go there with CASH and your name is now "Scott Stapp" - but who am I ?!?!

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
369 Posts
Have her mail it to you CoD, say you will pay 20-30 bucks more for it that way.

If she says no then it IS a scam.

There was no reason for her to mention that she was selling her boyfriends bike aside from making it apparent to the potential buyers that she is selling property that isnt hers to sell.

And there only reason for that is to make it so that you have no case when trying to get your money back. if you acually do try leagal action they may just send you your money back and consider it a failed attempt, but most of the time people would be too embarased or unsure if what they were doing was leagal, and that price is about right for some people to forget about it and move on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts