Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I walk into a thrift store the other day and make a beeline to where they keep the bikes. Nada. Nothing but cheap kids bikes. Then I peaked in the back, to see if maybe something hadn't been brought out yet. I see a kids Mongoose BMX, a fillet-brazed Novara with full Deore and thumbies, and something shiny behind some furniture. I lean in a little more, and hiding behind the furniture, waiting to be priced, was this:

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

Yep. Got me a Litespeed. I waited almost an hour in the store, sitting on a couch and reading some Far Side books (Gary Larson is one funny dude). After reading through a book and a half, (if you can call reading his comics reading), they started bringing out the bikes. I was half-expecting the Litespeed to come out priced at at least $100, if not more. The Novara came out first, priced at $17.99. I picked it up for parts. Then the Litespeed came out... SAME PRICE!. I bought this bike for $17.99.

Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Bicycle part Bicycle

It's a mix of old and new XT, with what I think is the original Ti stem, Ti bars, Pulstar front hub, and a worn out Manitou 1. I think it's a 1991. I'm looking for a rigid fork for it- any ideas? It's 1 1/8", needs a 7"-7.25" steerer. I haven't done anything to it yet, as you can probably tell from the rusty chain and crooked seat. I even left the price tags on. Kinda want to get a fork first before I start on it.

My other score of note is this, a 1993 MB-1. It was my size, and the price was fair, especially considering all the extras that came with it. I'll post more details later, but here she is, straight from craigslist for $575. This is my most expensive VRC purchase to date.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
nice score,,,but,,,,

you should feel bad, REAL BAD :madmax: :D

and if you go back next week they'll have a Huffy for $69.95...go figure?

·
Registered
106 Posts
i am shocked beyond belief

first, congratulations:thumbsup:

second, where the hell are people this unobservant?

I mean this bike has got to feel a tad lighter than its counterparts just wheeling it out would clue even the average person that something was DIFFERENT?:eek:

·
VRC Illuminati
17,637 Posts
Sweet jebus!

Fantastic pick ups. The MB-1 might be a bit high, but those are super popular and that one looks pretty darn clean. Find a matching rigid fork for it and you'll be dialed in.

Three more bikes, just like that. :p

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ha! You guys are awesome. I love this forum. Thanks for all the feedback.

and in response...

-what CBR stem?
-I don't feel bad at all. And that Huffy will be $100 if it has any suspension.
-Thankfully for us not everyone knows the value of old bikes.
-No coffee for the staff. The employees are nice, but the management is grumpy.
-The MB-1 is really clean. I can't wait to get it dirty.
-The price tag will come off eventually. That green just doesn't match.
-Three more bikes indeed. They are like rabbits, seriously.
-My thrift store is... a closely guarded secret.Though if you guys ever find something on the Tucson craigslist you want, I'd be more than happy to help with shipping.
-I already own all the Far Side books.
-Novara pics are coming. Fillet brazed bikes are definitely worth a photo or two.

The MB-1 came with a bunch of stuff that made me more comfortable with the price, including a mint Manitou 1 in the original box. It also came with some Cooks 176mm cranks (posted in the CBR thread), an original Ritchey Logic fork from a 1990 MB-1, XT thumbies, the original Ritchey Vantage/XT wheelset, and my first set of Ringle skewers. I definitely want to get a rigid fork for it, preferably the original Ritchey biplane, but it's very ridable as is. And they only made 1000 of these, or so the catalog says.

·
VRC Hound
4,277 Posts
Well done. Definitely a good score, and maybe the score of the week, but let's not get carried away. That Klein guy that was on a while back picked up his bike on CL for $250 and sold it on ebay for $1200 for a $950 pickup. The Litespeed would probably do $400 to $550 on ebay so it is a pickup of about that much.

I think that the MB-1 is a much better pick up - not because it has potential for a fast resale, but because it is a nice riding bike in nice condition - and came with some cool extras.

·
Registered
552 Posts
djmuff said:
And they only made 1000 of these, or so the catalog says.
OT: The Zips were the same, which got me thinking, I read about a bunch of Zip frame failures and people getting replacements. Were the replacements part of the original batch count or were they overages? You would think that all would've been built-up for sale and unavailable as frame-only.

I should email Mr. G P ...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.