Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bike Geek
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

I got two pinch flats in the last two rides on my oem hutchinson bulldog 2.1's that came on my Trance.

So, I put on some old friends, Hot S tires that I have had for a while. The treads on both still look like they have a lot of life. However, the one I placed in front appears to have some very small cracks on the top part of the tire, the red part. Not all the way through mind you, but I can see cracks if I look closely. I am going to ride them a few more times.

My question is, in cases such as these, how long do you keep your tires when they look worn? Do you wear them until they are unrideable? Do you just throw them away?

I really like this tire and hope it lasts a few more off road rides.
They more worn out tire is about 5 years old, but it has not been used every season.

I don't think you can see the cracks in the pics, but you get the idea.

Attachments

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Rubber deteriorates with age, especially if it's exposed to sunlight and some chemical vapors. 5 years is a very, very long time for a set of tyres to be sitting around.

Coloured tyres are not as hard wearing as black tyres because they don't contain carbon. Whether this also results in a shorter shelf life, I don't know. But the idea of riding around of 5 year old coloured tyres isn't a good one. If money is tight, get something from the bargain bin of your LBS or online- it'll be a whole lot safer.

·
Bike Geek
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mutano

Gotcha, I think I will chuck the front tire and put a mutano on the front. The rear tire still looks good, and I think they will work good in tandem with each other.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Check also sides of the tires. If there are cuts, you may patch them from inside with 1(better 2, one on top of the other) tube patches. Cuts themselves may cause pinch flats. If there are loose threads and/or the side looks worn out, with rubber cracked and threads exposed, better replace the tire. A tire with worn out/cut sidewalls is not safe to run, it may blow up at any moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.