Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just needed a place to 'vent' a little! I know that purchasing used frames is a little risky, but I am a little disappointed: I purchased two Yeti frames, an ARC and a ASR-SL, both turned out to have cracks that cannot be repaired. The ARC cracked around the bottom bracket, the ASR on the seat tube. I have ridden so many frames from various 'high end' manufacturers and have never had two in a row develop cracks...I am quite disillusioned with Yeti quality!

Both purchases cannot be returned and Yeti's warranty only covers the original owner. If you are thinking about purchasing a used Yeti frame be EXTRA vigilant about the condition so you don't get stuck with expensive wall art!

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
That sucks man.... but, as U say, it would be hard to tell that they weren't abused before they got to you... personally I am quite content with the quality on my Yeti.. I am not light and the Yeti delivers... all bikes break, that is part of the risks/savings of buying used... on the other hand.. my Yeti is the first new frame I bought in about 10 years :D

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Bummer, but as Crisillo says, unless you know the riding habits of the previous owner really well, you simply can't blame Yeti quality for what happened to the frame.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
caveat emptor...

I do agree...the main point of my post was to remind potential buyers of their responsibility to very carefully check the product. That said, I do find it rather personally ironic that I have ridden more than 25 different Cannondale frames which have a "reputation" for "crack 'n' fail" and never had a frame crack. The first two Yeti frames I purchase (both frames less than three years old) develop cracks in places that should not easily crack. Maybe I would be a little less disheartened if Yeti had a crash replacement program or something of the like.

Again, I am not merely blaming Yeti, just wanting to vent a little and remind used frame buyers (of any brand, really) caveat emptor!

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
tyberius_77 said:
I do agree...the main point of my post was to remind potential buyers of their responsibility to very carefully check the product. That said, I do find it rather personally ironic that I have ridden more than 25 different Cannondale frames which have a "reputation" for "crack 'n' fail" and never had a frame crack. The first two Yeti frames I purchase (both frames less than three years old) develop cracks in places that should not easily crack. Maybe I would be a little less disheartened if Yeti had a crash replacement program or something of the like.

Again, I am not merely blaming Yeti, just wanting to vent a little and remind used frame buyers (of any brand, really) caveat emptor!
Fair point... :thumbsup:

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
tyberius_77 said:

Bad situation for sure.

I cracked my Cdale Jekyll frame twice (both replaced quickly by CDale), but my 575 which has been ridden much harder than the Jekyll (moved from Oklahoma to CO) is still going strong. Any bike can/will crack at some point.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
tyberius_77 said:

Contact the original owner you purchased the frames from and see if they will contact Yeti to get a replacement. The Yeti quality and customer service is excellent as I and many here can attest to. The fact that you happened to purchase 2 frames with cracks doesn't mean a whole lot if you purchased from people that abused the frames. ANY frame can crack if abused. PERIOD.

Your point about Buyer Beware is well taken though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
tyberius_77 said:
I just needed a place to 'vent' a little! I know that purchasing used frames is a little risky, but I am a little disappointed: I purchased two Yeti frames, an ARC and a ASR-SL, both turned out to have cracks that cannot be repaired. The ARC cracked around the bottom bracket, the ASR on the seat tube. I have ridden so many frames from various 'high end' manufacturers and have never had two in a row develop cracks...I am quite disillusioned with Yeti quality!

Both purchases cannot be returned and Yeti's warranty only covers the original owner. If you are thinking about purchasing a used Yeti frame be EXTRA vigilant about the condition so you don't get stuck with expensive wall art!
I would first contact the original seller. Where is the seller located? (US or Canada -effects your legal rights as you appear to be in Canada) How were the frames represented in terms of condition, did you buy off e-bay? Request your money back. If he or she is the original purchaser as another member mentioned -you need to request that he or she contact Yeti about the crash replacement policy. If all else fails you can always call Yeti and see if they will offer you any form of assistance. I remember reading a post 3-4 months ago about crash assistance with a non-original owner. I would not try it with both frames though, that would be overkill. Good luck.

Oh, I also meant to mention, as to Yeti quality, take a look at the m-peg video on the official Yeti website. (under the tour icon I think) My old rig was a Canni as well. I can tell you the attention to detail that Yeti puts on frame quality is amazing. (Video details this) Sure, the welds are not as pretty as Cannondale, but my money is on my Yeti frame being stronger. To me it sounds like the previous owner abused the frames then decided to unload them on an unsuspecting buyer. He or she is the likely bad guy, not Yeti.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The epitome of service...

I just wanted to let everyone know that Seth contacted me regarding my 'situation'...I was so impressed with his willingness to help me out. I am very impressed!

We are trying to contact the original owner to see if there is an original sales receipt...I am hoping that it can be found! I will update the saga as soon as there are developments.

My sincere compliments to Seth and his willingness to "go the extra mile"!

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
tyberius_77 said:
I just wanted to let everyone know that Seth contacted me regarding my 'situation'...I was so impressed with his willingness to help me out. I am very impressed!

We are trying to contact the original owner to see if there is an original sales receipt...I am hoping that it can be found! I will update the saga as soon as there are developments.

My sincere compliments to Seth and his willingness to "go the extra mile"!
Now that sounds like Yeti CS :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I hope that receipt is found....

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
To the OP - I think it was bad form on your part to title this thread "Cracked Yeti Frames!".

You are not the original owner of the two frames that failed, and accepted a risk when you bought the used frames. You do not know their history, yet you're willing to insinuate that the failures were a result of poor manufacturing rather than abuse - unfairly slandering Yeti as a company on the internet.

I hope this all work out for you, and I commend Yeti for trying to take care of you when they clearly do not have to.

Ant

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.