Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would cause cracks on a weld in this area?? wanted a opinion . no dents on the seat tube - bike has hardly been ridden. maybe a 1.5' drop or two seemd like it should handle that?? what year did they start producing 1.5" head tubes ? also how long has the free been out of production?

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing got jammed in the cracked area. no damage or denting in the seat tube area. the paint is chipped because I scraped it away to confirm the crack was in the weld not hte Powder coat. Have ridden my nomad way harder than the free . Everyone I talk with seems to think the area was overheated when it was welded. SC says they are not going to warranty and that the bike is a 06 according to the serial #. I am having a hard time with this because it is a 1.5 head tube and I have had more than one person tell me that the 1.5 head tubes were not made in 06. do they put old rear ends on newer frames??? :madman: :madmax: I wish I could say I had broken this frame it would be alot easier for me to deal with. might want to look at your Vp if you own one. hers a pic of my 14 year old launching on his Blur 4x He beats his 4X and has for a few years with no probs. the VP went of a 1.5' drop 2 or 3 times and sat in the garage for a year now this???

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
dbuilt said:
Nothing got jammed in the cracked area. no damage or denting in the seat tube area. the paint is chipped because I scraped it away to confirm the crack was in the weld not hte Powder coat. Have ridden my nomad way harder than the free . Everyone I talk with seems to think the area was overheated when it was welded. SC says they are not going to warranty and that the bike is a 06 according to the serial #. I am having a hard time with this because it is a 1.5 head tube and I have had more than one person tell me that the 1.5 head tubes were not made in 06. do they put old rear ends on newer frames??? :madman: :madmax: I wish I could say I had broken this frame it would be alot easier for me to deal with. might want to look at your Vp if you own one. hers a pic of my 14 year old launching on his Blur 4x He beats his 4X and has for a few years with no probs. the VP went of a 1.5' drop 2 or 3 times and sat in the garage for a year now this???
They did upgrade the headtube to 1.5" but did not update the rear swingarms.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My VPfree is an '06, has 1 1/8" HT. Sorry about the break, that really stinks. From the pictures, the bike looks new. SC's powdercoats are notoriously feeble and look old within a month. To look new, it pretty much has to be.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Errr, um...now don't take this wrong, but are you sure yer 14 y/o hasn't "taken it out for a ride" and not told you about it....??? I'm jus sayin' I was 14 one time, "back before th war", and I know how teens develop the same problems as politicians, i.e. " don't recall doing/saying that".......seriously, please don't take offence.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mtnbikej said:
They did upgrade the headtube to 1.5" but did not update the rear swingarms.
Supposedly it was new when I bought it. Do they run old/refurbished rear ends on new front triangles and re-powder-coat:nono: - if so that is not right. was told the rear end hasn't changed since the vp was introduced

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
miklorsmith said:
My VPfree is an '06, has 1 1/8" HT. Sorry about the break, that really stinks. From the pictures, the bike looks new. SC's powdercoats are notoriously feeble and look old within a month. To look new, it pretty much has to be.
It is new Ive had it since early/ mid 08 and ridden it maybe 5 times or 3 hours total. :madman:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
man w/ one hand said:
Errr, um...now don't take this wrong, but are you sure yer 14 y/o hasn't "taken it out for a ride" and not told you about it....??? I'm jus sayin' I was 14 one time, "back before th war", and I know how teens develop the same problems as politicians, i.e. " don't recall doing/saying that".......seriously, please don't take offence.
I wish I could say he had. He likes bike with less travel. He dosent have to sneak around me he can ride my bikes any time and he knows it. we usally ride together anyway and we always shuttle together since he cant ( legally) drive.

·
Registered
82 Posts
dbuilt said:
Supposedly it was new when I bought it. Do they run old/refurbished rear ends on new front triangles and re-powder-coat:nono: - if so that is not right. was told the rear end hasn't changed since the vp was introduced
if someone bought a anodized frame, broke they front end, got a new powder coated one, SC would powder coat they old ano rear end to match but only after making sure it is ok.

did you buy it new at a SC dealer?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
CSeymour10 said:
if someone bought a anodized frame, broke they front end, got a new powder coated one, SC would powder coat they old ano rear end to match but only after making sure it is ok.

did you buy it new at a SC dealer?
So your saying (for instance)they (Santa cruz)would take a old rear end and put it on a new front triangle and match the finish on the used part to the new part then resell the frame as new?? OR ?? How do they make sure its ok?? X Ray ?? do you work for SC?

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
dbuilt said:
So your saying (for instance)they (Santa cruz)would take a old rear end and put it on a new front triangle and match the finish on the used part to the new part then resell the frame as new?? OR ?? How do they make sure its ok?? X Ray ?? do you work for SC?
Not old swingarms.....they might have had raw swingarms in stock when they decided to go to 1.5" HT. Similar to the same thing they did when the Nomad went from 1 1/8" to 1.5"

You did not get somebody elses "old/returned" swingarm.

·
Registered
82 Posts
dbuilt said:
no they would not do that. i was saying if someone was warrenting a ano frame and wanted their rear to match the new powder coated front, SC would powder coat the rear for them. they would not get an old swing arm and powder coat it and throw it on a front and sell it.

i know people that have warrantied frames and got their rears to match.

in the first post you said your serial is from 06, is that on the front or the swing arm?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.