Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After only about 3 months and 200 miles, I found small cracks in the rear dropouts (pivot point) on both sides of the bike, directly behind the rear axel. Have dropped at LBS and now awaiting next steps. Fun while it lasted....

Tallboy???

·
Registered
536 Posts
OUCH, sorry to hear. But, almost always at least in my 20 years experience with trek warranty work is quick and complete. Also, lifetime warranty is nice to have.
About 2 months on Tb so far and it is still good and wonderful ride albeit 2 year warranty. That's an ouch also. Not because it is carbon fiber though. I know you will get the haters...

·
Registered
450 Posts
pgh01 said:
After only about 3 months and 200 miles, I found small cracks in the rear dropouts (pivot point) on both sides of the bike, directly behind the rear axel. Have dropped at LBS and now awaiting next steps. Fun while it lasted....

Tallboy???
If it is a genuine warranty, you will find Fisher/Trek very easy to deal with and you will get a new frame. As pointed out before, Trek are fantastic to deal with and very quick at dealing with these sort of issues.

Another vote for pics.

Also, if you thought it was a fun ride, and you get the frame replaced under warranty (which is still warrantied for life) - why would you look at spending more money on a new bike?

·
Registered
681 Posts
interesting post..........this thread is useless without pics..............

I call troll until I see pics, relatively new member with only 2 posts so far.............if I'm wrong then my apologies and I owe ya a beer, if I'm right, then come on man get a life !!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rear triangle has been replaced - will pick up this weekend. excellent service from trek/GF through LBS.

as for lack of photos - i went straight to LBS from the ride i was on when i discovered cracks. GF rep happened to be at shop next day and saw bike in person - therefore shop didn't take pix either.

btw - i also was beginning to experience the popping sound from the rear hub that many other GF owners have complained about, and that is being fixed/replaced as well.

·
Bike Geek
283 Posts
pgh01 said:
btw - i also was beginning to experience the popping sound from the rear hub that many other GF owners have complained about, and that is being fixed/replaced as well.
Great I had hoped they had fixed this issue for the 10's. Well hopefully they don't send a silver rear wheel as a replacement this time. :madman:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm wondering if this was an anomaly. I'm interested in this bike and contacted GF tech support about durability for large riders. They assured me that the frame is engineered for riders up to 300lbs and Ithere shouldn't be any durability issues if this bike is used as a daily ride.

·
Plastic homer
592 Posts
Duzitall said:
It's the first breakage I've heard of so far. Anyone else?
I have heard of one with a crack in the seat stay at the link bushing - -replacement promptly shipped.

My own took me through three -plus days of awesome riding in Sedona and lots of local Socal miles - no issues at all. I didn't ride every drop, but I did more and more I never would have tried before. Best single day of riding I have ever managed.

I am 215 pounds, on a large.

Combined with a lot of technical climbing, it answered every challenge.

Is it my big hit bike? - nope. Still need one of those.;)

Is it more than I hoped? Oh, yeah. It will go as long as I can, and I am getting better.

·
Plastic homer
592 Posts
Brewboy74 said:
Great I had hoped they had fixed this issue for the 10's. Well hopefully they don't send a silver rear wheel as a replacement this time. :madman:
FWIW, I have been watching mine like a hwk since the posts on the Formula hubs started happening. The last thing I need is this thing coming apart on a night lap on an aggresive descent and ruining my bike.

So far - it's all good. Not a complaint of any kind, and they have taken a drop or two.

Still watching though...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.