Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any of you have cracked your seat tube from the clamp. I have a thomson seatpost that just keeps on slipping. We are talking about every few miles I have to stop because it slipped a good 1/2 inch to an inch. Well, I cranked that mother F'er down nice and tight and I hear this crack/pop noise. This is a new frame and I am wondering how manufacturers would treat something like this.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bubblan said:
+1 on the Thomson seatpost slipping. Don't know but I've had problems with 3 different Thomson seatposts on 2 different frames. No other seatposts I've tried slips, but Thomson does.
No problems when I had on on my Air9, One9, but it slips on my MCR. I have the correct diameter post and clamp. I am using a DKG clamp 29.6. In fact, I think DKG is the only one that makes one for the odd size that is required of the MCR. I am about to JB weld the thing and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
41ants said:
No problems when I had on on my Air9, One9, but it slips on my MCR. I have the correct diameter post and clamp. I am using a DKG clamp 29.6. In fact, I think DKG is the only one that makes one for the odd size that is required of the MCR. I am about to JB weld the thing and call it a day.
Get a different brand post. Thomsons tend to slip in some frames. Hopefully the "crack' you heard was the clamp and not the frame.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Add a bit of dirt to the seat post, like just place your gloved palm in some dust and then rub it on the seatpost. Thomson's anno is slick so it needs a bit of friction material in between it and the frame.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
PB Matrix said:
Add a bit of dirt to the seat post, like just place your gloved palm in some dust and then rub it on the seatpost. Thomson's anno is slick so it needs a bit of friction material in between it and the frame.
Will give that a shot. I was a bit worried about Carbon with my weight and the amount of post that I have showing.

Update: It appears that all that broke was the bolt from the clamp and the clamp collar. Luckily the seat tube appears to be fine. Whewww! I was a bit worried.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.