Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have to say that from looking at the pictures you posted the damage looks like it could have been caused from something hitting the bike. On the left side of the cracks it looks like a chunk of the material is gone, maybe it's just the picture quality. I'm probably completely wrong and I'm no carbon expert, I hope everything works out for you. Please keep us updated so we all know how things work out. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Caused by clamping the bike by the top tube?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Both Trek and Spesh do a lot of research into a frame before warranties. Can you blame them? If every Joe Shmoe cracked thier 06 S Works just to get a new top of the line, they'd go broke. Clearly Spesh knows something you dont

·
Registered
875 Posts
So you have used this bike for 3 years, and just now, a "defect" shows up, out of the blue?
Looking at your picture, that sure looks like impact damage.

Any frame, carbon, aluminum, etc.. from any company, if it has any "defects" they will generally show up very quickly, and be very consistent, ie: the same failure mode on a number of frames.

If Specialized offfers you any kind of crash replacement deal - take it.

Oh, In my opinion, the fact that your first post is threatening litagation is really :rolleyes:

·
Trail Rider
1,670 Posts
Maybe it's the pic quality, but it looks like it took some kind of impact.

Scratches, skuffs, and as Oz said, it looks like a chunk of carbon is gone. They look like gouges from an impact.

What do I know? That's just what it looks like from the posted pictures.

Hope it works out.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
madskatingcow said:
+1 : looking at your first picture, you are clamping the frame by the top tube in fact ... and that's what every carbon frame manual states : only clamp the bike by the seat post when putting it in a bicycle stand for cleaning / repairing.
The location of those cracks could easily have been from clamping the top tube. The pictures showing the frame actually being clamped by the top tube make it seem likely.

There is a possibility that it's actually the carbon frame falling apart though. This picture of a 2010 S-Works Stumpjumper hardtail shows where the carbon fibre frame has split in that location. The picture is from bustedcarbon.com without much detail as to what actually happened. Apparently it was caused whilst "JRA" rather than a crash but there's not that much information unfortunately.:(

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/2010/05/specialized-s-works-stumpjumper.html

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Looks like the bike stand clamp has something to do with it. That damage was caused either by an impact, or by too much torque being applied to the clamp on the frame. Since there are fractures along the carbon on both sides of the frame I'm going to guess that it was crushed by the clamp.

Clamp the seat post, never clamp the frame.

·
Ben-Jammin
678 Posts
And OP will never be heard from again.

P.S. I've used the Specialized warranty two times now and haven't had a single issue. I'm sure that the person who assessed the damage on your frame came to the same conclusion that everyone else in the topic has: The damage looks like it was caused by an impact or user error.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Who rides a MTB for 3 years

and never crashes, or drops the bike even one time. It unfortunate to see a failure on such a high end bike and its crazy in my opinion to buy a MTB that can be damaged by clamping it in a repair stand. Fragile MTB's make no sense to me. I really want to support the OP because I think a bike that cannot withstand a padded repair stand is defective but anyone who says they MTB for 3 years and never fall once has to be lying. Sorry Man hopefully you will get a crash replacement frame at a reasonable price. Also your lawsuit against Specialzed is wrought with errors. S will force the issue out of small claims by countersuing you for Slander and Liable for posting untrue information about thier products online. So forget the Lawsuit and consider buying a Titus they have the best warranty support in the business.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
That first picture is golden!!

Hmmmm, I wonder what could have crushed the TT? Do you think it could have been that bike stand clamp located 3" off to the side?

Are there suddenly now more cracks 3" from the original location?

I think it is a conspiracy.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Hmmm... join date July 2010. Posts: 1.

And I agree that that looks like impact damage or possibly crush damage. I don't think you're going to get Spec to give you a new frame and - though I realize there may be more to this - based on what you've showed and told us, they'd be right to say no to that warranty claim.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts