Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone cracked their SIR frame? If so, where and how did it sound and how did you notice?

I have creak on my frame - it is not the EBB (tighten to speck with all the rainman instructions), Crank bolts,and BB interface, headset or stem, or sqewers. I wonder if the frame is cracked?? There are no paint crack signs anywhere. It creacks bad when I do a sharp turns in a single track.

I am just paranoid because I love this bike - my current favorite in the stable.

Please help.:cryin:

Thank you

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
How many spacers are you using with you headset/stem? I've had creaking come from too many little ones. Are you running a Reba by any chance?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thomson seatpost

OhNooo said:
Seatpost? I don't have a SIR9, but have a Haro Mary, and I've found that I get a good case of squeaks when the seat post is not greased.
Thomson seat post all lubed up with park tool grease and I use a selle italia slr 135g saddle.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No spacers

WEBERTIME said:
How many spacers are you using with you headset/stem? I've had creaking come from too many little ones. Are you running a Reba by any chance?
I am using a EA70 stem welded - the one that looks like a tank, sigle bolt, and has a high steerer tube clamp. the stem is also greased.

Yes I am running a reba race 29.

What is wrong with the rebas???

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Creaks can sometimes be a pita to track down...but you have got a head start here...because it only happens on tight turns.

Think about what is being affected when you turn on those corners on the trail... and you might be able to solve the mystery.

Another way..can you get a friend to listen carefully while you flex the frame around ... or does the creak only happen when you are riding?

I've never heard of a SIR frame breaking, but anything is possible...

R.

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
Zion Rasta said:
I am using a EA70 stem welded - the one that looks like a tank, sigle bolt, and has a high steerer tube clamp. the stem is also greased.

Yes I am running a reba race 29.

What is wrong with the rebas???
The Reba can sometimes have an odd click or creak, it's the pressfit steerer getting ever so slightly loose, it was pretty common on the first generation Rebas, still can happen with the newer ones.
Check the stem's hinge too...
I'd start by trying a new fork and stem.

Wow just came to me... check the cable housing too. I've had them create a horrible click/creak where the housing goes into the first set of stops. Wrap a ziptie or tape around the housing behind the headtube and go for a ride.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

WEBERTIME said:
The Reba can sometimes have an odd click or creak, it's the pressfit steerer getting ever so slightly loose, it was pretty common on the first generation Rebas, still can happen with the newer ones.
Check the stem's hinge too...
I'd start by trying a new fork and stem.

Wow just came to me... check the cable housing too. I've had them create a horrible click/creak where the housing goes into the first set of stops. Wrap a ziptie or tape around the housing behind the headtube and go for a ride.
I will try all those as soon as I make it home. Just got a new 20t Chris king cog for the 34x20 set up. I will probably get a WI ENO 32 ring and a 18t cog which is the next ratio up.

Do any of you have creaking with a IRD square taper and an ENO crank interface? Should I go back to a shimano UN72/73? Have any of you tried any of these with your ENO SS crank? I know someone will say Phil Wood, but right now that is gas money you are talking about. I have like 4-5 square taper BB laying around - Race face, shimano, TH, etc....

Is the Shimano BB Flexy?

I was big into SS when we had the old forum in 2000-2003 ish. And then drank the Turner cool aid and SS was history. Now I sipped from the 29er SS holy water cup and I am....... Holy.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
I get slip when I lube the seatpost but creaks when I don't.

Try lubing the seatpost clamp. Sometimes that's the issue.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found it!!!

pinkheadedbug said:
I get slip when I lube the seatpost but creaks when I don't.

Try lubing the seatpost clamp. Sometimes that's the issue.
It was my shoe cleats. They are worn out!!!!!!! G-zus! How often do you guys change those? I think mine have a couple thousand miles, so need fresh ones. I guess since I an really pushing a big gear on steep technical climbs the cleats are biotching now.

FRAME NOT CRACKED!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS GWAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
Congrats!

I had Specialized Team shoes that would HOWL with the TIME ATAC pedals. The Shoe rubbed on the 2 bars on the pedal squeek squeek squeek...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the same shoes!!!!

WEBERTIME said:
I had Specialized Team shoes that would HOWL with the TIME ATAC pedals. The Shoe rubbed on the 2 bars on the pedal squeek squeek squeek...
I also have Specialized team shoes and have worn them to death. When I am cranking uphill it sounds like it is the EBB/crank/BB or something around there. So new shoes and cleats and "Enjoy the Silence"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.