Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 3.22.59 PM.jpg

I'm not sure when this happened but just swapped my rear tire and realized I have a substantial crack in my rim. It was holding air but I'm a bit confused on how the tire survived the impact. I was running an Aspen 2.25 with about 25psi. Wheel is only slightly out of true

Any suggestions on what to do?

I don't think crash replacement will apply since I'm not the original owner and also don't have the receipt.

Can I rebuild the wheel with another rim? Is the Roval hub compatible with non Roval wheels? Any suggestions on a good carbon rim?

Can it be repaired?

Or should I just look for a new wheel?

·
Registered
989 Posts
View attachment 1285459

I'm not sure when this happened but just swapped my rear tire and realized I have a substantial crack in my rim. It was holding air but I'm a bit confused on how the tire survived the impact. I was running an Aspen 2.25 with about 25psi. Wheel is only slightly out of true

Any suggestions on what to do?

I don't think crash replacement will apply since I'm not the original owner and also don't have the receipt.

Can I rebuild the wheel with another rim? Is the Roval hub compatible with non Roval wheels? Any suggestions on a good carbon rim?

Can it be repaired?

Or should I just look for a new wheel?
Yes you should be able to replace rim, but unless lucky and dimension same,youll prob have to replace spokes too. If its a good hub,might beworth it, but otherwise might not, esp if you have to pay labor too

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Rebuild it with either the same roval rim from a specialized dealer (ask them for a crash replacement deal, the worst they can say is no), or a santa cruz reserve rim, or a dt swiss aluminum rim.

Yes the hub is worth reusing IMO.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To follow up on this.. bike shop sent it back to specialized for a rebuild. new spokes and rim for about the cost of a carbon hoop. Overall very satisfied. For some reason specialized didn't put on tubeless tape. What comes on rovals stock is not tape but a rim strip. The bike shop didn't want to reuse that and recommended they tape it with whisky tape. The rim strip looked fine but maybe it's a one time use

1 - 7 of 7 Posts