Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Bob Saget Fan
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally finished building up my p1 that was replacing my cracked sputnik. I'm all glad, the ride is perfect but then..... i notice 2 small cracks under my dirt jumper crown. Im sick of all this crakin, the design is pretty stupid too, they design a really beafy forged crown and then they put two small holes whit a really sharp edge which causes a huge stress riser, i am not impressed. There is a small crack on each holes. Maybe 3-4 milimeters long, ill try to get some pics, Do you guys think i can still ride it whitout killing myself. And is it gonna be warentied??? I didn't abuse this fork, all i did is urban and dirt jumps which is what the fork is made to handle. I never cased a jump nor bottomed out the fork so i am really surprised and pissed buy the situation. Plus i don't have any prouf of purchase. What should i do????

·
Bob Saget Fan
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
zedro said:
why are you asking us? call Marzocchi ASAP, and go to your LBS if its still under the warranty period.
Well i want to know if i can still ride it, cuz i dont want to be bikeless just before university starts. Maybe somebody rode his cracked crown for a while and the cracks didn't grow alot. Also, my lbs doesn't sell marzocchi, that's why i bought it on the internet

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Da Bikoholic said:
Well i want to know if i can still ride it, cuz i dont want to be bikeless just before university starts. Maybe somebody rode his cracked crown for a while and the cracks didn't grow alot. Also, my lbs doesn't sell marzocchi, that's why i bought it on the internet
theres a problem with asking complete strangers on a critical safety issue. Either A) you get some 12 year old who thinks he knows something answering or B) some guy has cracks but hasent broken his yet, but it doesnt mean yours wont.

cracks = will break eventually. Its a crapshoot. Yeah, you can still ride it...until it breaks. There will be no warning of it breaking, exept for the fact that it already has cracks. This is what Marz will tell you.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Da Bikoholic said:
I finally finished building up my p1 that was replacing my cracked sputnik. I'm all glad, the ride is perfect but then..... i notice 2 small cracks under my dirt jumper crown. Im sick of all this crakin, the design is pretty stupid too, they design a really beafy forged crown and then they put two small holes whit a really sharp edge which causes a huge stress riser, i am not impressed. There is a small crack on each holes. Maybe 3-4 milimeters long, ill try to get some pics, Do you guys think i can still ride it whitout killing myself. And is it gonna be warentied??? I didn't abuse this fork, all i did is urban and dirt jumps which is what the fork is made to handle. I never cased a jump nor bottomed out the fork so i am really surprised and pissed buy the situation. Plus i don't have any prouf of purchase. What should i do????
Call our warranty department, 800-227-5579. As for riding a cracked fork, I would rather be bikeless than in the ER should things get worse....

Brian

·
Registered
686 Posts
Brian Peterson said:
Call our warranty department, 800-227-5579. As for riding a cracked fork, I would rather be bikeless than in the ER should things get worse....

Brian
Sounds like this is a very common problem.I have a 03'DJ1 with the same problem and have heard of others on this forum as well.Would this qualifie for a exchange towards a 05' model?

·
Bob Saget Fan
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DHRracer said:
Sounds like this is a very common problem.I have a 03'DJ1 with the same problem and have heard of others on this forum as well.Would this qualifie for a exchange towards a 05' model?
Do the 04 and 05 use the same crown as my 03 or did they fixed the problem??? I would be glad if i can get new uppers. The rest of my fork is like brand new.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Da Bikoholic said:
Do the 04 and 05 use the same crown as my 03 or did they fixed the problem??? I would be glad if i can get new uppers. The rest of my fork is like brand new.
04 & 05 DJ crowns are completely different. You would want to look at a 04 FR crown. Call are tech department for more info.

Brian

·
i should be working
532 Posts
happened to me

Brian Peterson said:
04 & 05 DJ crowns are completely different. You would want to look at a 04 FR crown. Call are tech department for more info.

Brian
dont ride the broken fork please. its just stupid. would you drive your car with cracked suspension parts? well, maybe some of you guys would.

here is what i did
got fork to local shop, said i busted the crown. they sent it out. 8$ shipping + 2 weeks waiting, new '04 crown uppers and steerer. notice the '04 crown has nice smooth surfaces. they knew about the problem. the whole fender thing was a total after though and they just drilled some holes.

i'm sure the engineers at marz are no idiots, they know they screwed up when they put those sharp edges on the crown. there shouldn't be any questions about replacing it. 90 degree corners are an automatic stress concentration.

i actually prepared a paper for the marz guys getting all technical in case they gave me an issue about it. i have a B.S in mechanical engineering (M.S. in progress) and the paper was about stress concentrations and how their fork had them at the point at which the cracks formed.

there shouldnt be a problem. just keep it cool with the tech support and be reasonable.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah it's no problem.

I had the same thing happen to my old z1. I drove it down to Marz in Valencia they looked at it, then replaced it. It was real easy. Later my steer tube broke off, I drove it down again and they replaced it a second time with a 04 uppers. The 04 version is slightly different, the aluminum steer tube is a little thicker walled, the thin spots on the bottom of the crown are thickened out some and its black. Its really very nice

·
Bob Saget Fan
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brian Peterson said:

Brian
Does the 04 FR crown come whit a steel steertube or aluminium???, if the strenght difference is alot i would rather have the djs crown. Thx alot for your help brian, i'm gonna call the tech department tomorow.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Da Bikoholic said:
Does the 04 FR crown come whit a steel steertube or aluminium???, if the strenght difference is alot i would rather have the djs crown. Thx alot for your help brian, i'm gonna call the tech department tomorow.
The FR crown typically comes with a alloy FR steertube... As for getting an 04 DJ crown, you would end up changing all of your internals to do that... Talk to the tech guys to get everything set up...

Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.